Our Engineering class will be an opportunity for students to work with the techniques and skills required in Investigation, Hypothesis, Construction and Implementation. Students will be taught to evaluate and reason through evidence, questions, problems and obstacles that present themselves within an investigation.
This class is Not a study hall. Students will work individually at times, as well as in groups analyzing articles/videos, scenarios, structers, evidence and questions while also working on evaluating/gathering data, making connections between ideas/topics and evaluating design concepts.
Most importantly, this analysis from which conclusions will be drawn will then be expressed and explained as students work to better understand the skills required in Engineering.
Course Expectations and Grading:
Students are expected to bring their planners, a designated Engineeing/Science notebook, at least 1 pen, 1 pencil and at least one highlighter of any color to class each day.
Assignments will be graded with a rubric specific to the task and will be posted on portal along with each student's earned grade.
Daily Grading: Everyone starts each day with a 100 for a Daily Participation Grade.
Loss of points for Daily Grading in Engineering will be as follows:
1. Not showing respect for classmates, teacher, school rules & property/25pts
2. Arriving to class late/10pts (1 minute or 10, late is late)
3. Not participating in class discussions and activities/25pts
4. Not following directions from the teacher & board/15pts
5. Behaving immaturely while working and using technology and materials/25pts
6. Not collaborating with partner(s)/15pts
7. Lack of maintaining a safe & clean work area when involved in labs and activities/10pts
8. Failure to complete assignments in the time provided/15pts
9. Inaccurately taking all of the notes of the topic/10pts
10. Improper removal/disposal of materials & waste by period's end/10pts
Grading for this class is simple, however, if a student is losing points for failure to observe one of the ten requirements for class, more often than not, it is also likely that that student is losing points for other requirements that particular day as well.
Just listen for directions and do your best. You are all equal to the task so make the best choices possible.