Welcome To Our Class Page!
Have a wonderful summer! Be sure to read, practice math facts, and have FUN!!
Thank you parents and students! You have been doing a fantastic job! You are all doing your best, and I truly appreciate your great effort. Please keep working hard. If you need help I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
I miss Daisy, Mason, Adan, Sarah, William, Brendan, Julian, Kennedy,
Paige, Karen, Evan, Juan, Aubrie, Matthew, Wilfredo, Ashlyn, Tyler M., Mia, Charis, Ransom, Myles, Miley, Brooke, Steven, Tyler W.,
and Haley so much!! I can't wait to see you!!
I am planning to have a Google Meet on Monday, June 15 12:00 - 12:30.
Once I activate the link you can join. You can't see the link or join until I actually start the meeting. Here are the directions for students to try with their parents. Hopefully all goes well, and we will be able to see each other.
1. Sign into your gmail account.
2. Click on Mrs. Slomin's Google Classroom.
3. On Stream Page, at the top, click Meet.
4. Then on Classwork Page, at the top, click Meet.
5. Find the class video meeting and click the link. (Remember the link won't be there until the meeting begins.)
6. To join click Join Now.
7. To allow Meet to use your camera and microphone, click Allow.
8. When the Meet is over, to leave click Leave Call. Students and parents must all leave first. I will leave last to close our Meet.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY To ...
William, Paige, and Steven (June)!
Myles, Mason, and Haley (July)!
Kennedy and Tyler M. (August)!
Students' personal items will be bagged, labeled, and given to them in September with their new teacher. Please let me know immediately if there are any personal items that are absolutely essential (eyeglasses, etc.) and needed from the classroom, or if your child is moving and will need all belongings now.
* Remote learning lessons for
June 15 - June 19
were emailed to
each student's gmail.
You can also access lessons by clicking on this link below.
Also, please go to your special area teacher pages for their required weekly lessons. This is now a requirement so special area teachers will be able to grade students.
Monday - Computers (Mr. Struthers)
Tuesday - Gym (Mr. Hamdi)
Wednesday - World Language (Senor Luell)
Thursday - Art (Ms. Martinez)
Friday - Music - (Mrs. Noble)
March 30 - April 8 Remote Learning
1.Read 30 min. daily and complete a Reading Log. (This can also be documented in your notebook if you wish.)
2. Reading goals - main idea/details, summarizing/synthesizing
Read and respond to nonfiction.
Go to www.readworks.org/student for your daily assignment.
Enter class code AU5SUD
student password 1234
Do not change password.
Read, answer questions, and submit so I can see your results.
3/30 What Lives in the Desert?
3/31 Animals of Africa
4/1 What's in the Oceans? Amazing Ocean Animals
4/2 A Polar Bear Grows Up
4/3 Linkit - Review Informational Texts (2) Code 001D5A1P
4/6 What Lives in a Rain Forest?
4/7 Animals Get Ready
4/8 Linkit - Review Informational Texts (3) Code 001173RJ
Writing goal - Write a persuasive (opinion) essay.
Write, revise, and edit a persuasive (opinion) essay in your notebooks. At the end you must have: 1. an opening with a strong opinion that hooks the reader 2. 3 reasons with examples to support your opinion 3. transition words(for example, another, also) 4. a strong closing that restates the opinion
Work on this a little bit each day.
Remember...we already have written persuasive pieces in class. (Should students have cell phones in school? Should students be required to wear school uniforms? Should students have homework?)
Math goals - fraction equivalence and comparison
Each day you will complete the Solve and Share, Visual Learning (instructional video), and Workbook Practice for the lesson. Go on Envision. Login directions were sent home and are also listed in detail below. Click on the particular lesson. Scroll down under Develop Problem-Based Learning and click on the Solve and Share. You may complete this in your workbook. Then go back to previous page, scroll down under Develop Visual Learning and click on Visual Learning. There you can watch the instructional video that will help you with the lesson. This goes with the workbook page on the back of the Solve and Share. Then do your best to complete the assigned problems on the Workbook Practice Page. Use your workbook that was sent home. If you are able to, you can take a picure of your workbook page and email it to me. Otherwise I will check your work when we get back.
3/30 Lesson 13.1 Solve & Share P. 673, Visual Learning P. 674, Workbook Practice P. 675-676 all
3/31 Lesson 13.2 Solve & Share P. 679, Visual Learning P. 680, Workbook Practice P. 681-682 all
4/1 Lesson 13.3 Solve & Share P. 685, Visual Learning P. 686, Workbook Practice P. 687 (3-14) P. 688 all
4/2 Lesson 13.4 Solve & Share P. 691, Visual Learning P. 692, Workbook Practice P. 693 (3-14) P. 694 all
4/3 Lesson 13.5 Solve & Share P. 697, Visual Learning P. 698, Workbook Practice P. 699 (4-14) P. 700 (15-17, 19-22)
4/6 Lesson 13.6 Solve & Share P. 703, Visual Learning P. 704, Workbook Practice P. 705 (3-9) P. 706 (12-14)
4/7 Lesson 13.7 Solve & Share P. 709, Visual Learning P. 710, Workbook Practice P. 711 (2-11) P. 712 (12, 14, 15, 16, 18)
4/8 Online Testing Topic 13 Complete the test in Envision and submit. I will see your results.
If you wish to do extra and have the time after completing all other daily assignments, you can complete problems on the homework workbook page. Anything that you can't solve, circle it, and I will go over it. Please no worries!!
Science goal - to learn about ecosystems
Using Pebblego.com you will research a topic. You will read/listen to and write a response in your notebook. Write 3-5 facts that you learned on the topic.
Go to Pebblego.com
Click Sign in (top right in purple)
Username switlik (no capitals)
Type Animal Habitats
3/30 Desert Animals 3/31 Grassland Animals 4/1 Ocean Animals 4/2 Polar Animals 4/3 Rain Forest
4/6 Wetland 4/7 Woodland Animals 4/8 No assignment (Would be a shortened day.)
Click on tabs at the top or swipe to advance to the next screen.
If you would like practice in Literacy or Math, please use student.Freckle.com
Type in your name and code slomiw
If you would like more stories to read or activities you may go to Mrs. Palme's Library class page. There you will find links to enjoy.
Stay safe and healthy!
March 16-March 27
To access Remote Learning Plans...Go to your email from Jackson School District about closing. Scroll down and click on Remote Learning Plan Website (in blue). Then click on Pages (in black and white towards the top). Find Elementary K-5 and click. Then click 3rd Grade Remote Learning 10 Day Plan.
Everything is all there: Literacy, Math, S.S., and Science. Simply click the links. You may print out the sheets if you wish and are able to or simply write answers in the notebook that I sent home. Please label sheets and notebook as Day 1, Day 2, etc. I will check everything when we get back.
No worries! Please stay healthy and safe.
Literacy Assignment Codes
Day 1 0014Q4M5
Day 2 0014I5WF
Day 3 001GMQ29
Day 4 0015OYF4
Day 5 0013CTUX
Day 6 001B26TE
Day 7 001E721H
Day 8 0019LTU3
Day 9 0015EP9Z
Day 10 001951XU
Then if it asks for your password...it's your school ID # (your lunch #).
Envision Math Login Instructions -
(Instructions were sent home and are
also listed down below Math.)
If you would like more stories to read or activities you may go to Mrs. Palme's Library class page. There you will find some links that you may enjoy.
March 16 - School Closed Until Further Notice
April 2 - Report Cards Available On The Portal
April 3 - Spring Pictures
April 8 - Shortened Day
April 9-17 - Spring Break
- Visitors will be limited to 1-2 visitors per student.
- Visit the “New” Visitor Sign up Genius Link on your teacher’s class page.
- Please understand that if your name is not on the list, you may not be allowed to enter the class party.
- Each guest will receive a ticket that must be presented when you sign in with the receptionists at the main entrance.
- Tickets are non-transferrable.
- Please refrain from cell phone/camera use while visiting your child’s classroom. Not all parents have consented to have their children photographed.
- Any student who plans on being signed out early by someone other than their parent/guardian, must be accompanied with a note stating permission.
Report Cards: Please be sure you are ready to access your child’s report card on the district portal website. Report cards will be available on the portal. Also, please remember that if your Portal log-in does not work, please try the “Forgot My Password” link above BEFORE contacting support, as most issues will be resolved through that feature. Please note that the “Forgot Password” link will work only with parents who have an e-mail as their login ID. For questions or problems with your login ID’s or password (or if you do not have them), please send an email to email@example.com and include your name and phone number, as well as your child’s name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing and we will respond to you as quickly as possible
Thank you for all those tissues and wipes!
* WE ARE A PEANUT / TREE NUT FREE CLASSROOM! We have students with severe allergies. Please do not send food containing peanuts or tree nuts or food prepared with peanuts or tree nuts to our classroom. Thank you!
*We will be bringing all birthday treats to lunch. You may send in birthday treats with your child or drop them off in the morning by 10:00.
If you need to pick your child up from school early, you must write a note and send it to school with your child on that day.
*Supplies needed: extra pencils, a folder, and a smock with your name
*Donations of tissues and wipes are always appreciated.
Monday - Computers
Tuesday - Gym (Wear sneakers.)
Wednesday - World Language
Thursday - Art
Friday - Music
Students will read books on their individual level. Our current unit is called "Reading To Learn: Grasping Main Ideas And Text Structures". During reading lessons students will learn reading skills and strategies. They will show what they learned by keeping a reading notebook.
Students will keep a writing folder and will be writing informational pieces. We will start with a pre-writing sample and end the unit with a post-writing sample.
Words Their Way
Students will be spelling words on their appropriate level. They will be keeping a Words Their Way notebook. Activities and practice will be done in class daily. The Words Their Way/Spelling list of words will be stapled in the planner to review nightly as needed. Tests will usually be on Friday.
Group 1 - jar hard yarn march earn search pearl worth worst spur sir lurk thorn worn hoarse horse core chore boar bore score snore warm warn
Group 2 - sleep keep slide shine freeze draw sweep drive bleed know throw say slept kept slid shone froze drew swept drove bled knew threw said
Students will be learning multiplication strategies followed by division strategies. Please help your child practice multiplication and division facts until they are memorized.
You will be able to access the Envision math online. Log into your district Google account (or Gmail). Your email is your student ID@jacksonsd.org (no spaces)
Your password is your initials student ID (no spaces)
Go to the top and click on the "waffle" for Google apps.
Scroll down to Easy Bridge Envision Math and click.
Click Realze on the right.
Students will be learning about inventions and diversity.
Students will be learning about heredity and ecosystems.
We will be learning about ways we can make healthy choices throughout the year.
Please read for 30 minutes (2 steps) each night Monday through Friday when possible and have your parent sign your reading log.
Be a bucket filler each and every day!
LET ‘S WORK TOGETHER:
Student Safety is always paramount at Switlik School. We are asking for help in allowing our staff to focus on our shared goal of keeping our children safe and focused on learning. We appreciate your continued support and collaboration with us in ensuring that all students are safe.
ENTRANCE PROCEDURES: Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school. We ask that you wait 20 minutes after student arrival to approach the building to be signed in for your visit. (Exceptions are made for scheduled appointments approved by your child’s principal/teacher/counselor.
- All visitors will notify the receptionist using the buzzer by the visitor doors.
- At the buzzer, all visitors are required to present their valid photo identification to the camera, state the purpose of their visit and/or specify with whom they have the appointment or which student they are picking up.
- At the second set of doors, buzz again for access to reception.
- This includes drop off and pick up for morning and aftercare
Please do not hold the door open for others behind you. We realize this feels awkward and against the rules of good manners, but it’s important that each visitor be acknowledged individually through the buzzer system.
- If the appointment and/or purpose is verified, the visitor will be buzzed in and must present themselves to the receptionists immediately upon entry.
- The visitor’s ID will be held until the visitor leaves the building and the visitor will receive a guest badge. This procedure helps us to know that the visitor has departed by ensuring they leave the same way they arrived.
- Please limit “dropped off” items to only those items your child truly needs during the school day (e.g. necessary clothing changes, important schoolwork or lunch/items that are required for that day). Using the buzzer by the visiting door, inform the receptionists these items are on the cart outside the visitor door.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES: Please be advised at no time should any vehicle be entering or exiting through our bus ramp during arrival or dismissal times. Please review and adhere to the following:
Arrival Time: 8:50-9:05 a.m. We will not have staff on duty before this time.
- No child should be left off at the school without a staff member in attendance.
- Morning arrival for children is located at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance).
- Parents who choose the “Kiss and Drop” loop should adhere to the following safety procedures:
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
- Pull up to the gym vestibule entrance doors to drop off your child.
- Parents are to remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Students must exit from the passenger side door.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building during drop off arrival time.
- Do not pass other vehicles while children are exiting from vehicle, this can create a dangerous situation.
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
After 9:05 a.m., the start of the school day, parents dropping off their children must park in the main parking lot and escort them inside to the main office receptionist desk in order to sign them in. At this time, children are considered late. Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school.
No child is to be dropped off at the main entrance without a parent/ guardian signing them in.
Parent Pick Up:
- Doors at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance) for parent pick up will open at 3:05 p.m.
- Present your valid photo identification to the receptionists prior to signing your child out.
- Follow instructions of receptionists as to where to stand while waiting for your child to arrive.
- Please do not park in the bus lane during this time.
- Parents wishing to pick their students up from childcare may begin to do so at 3:15 p.m. We ask that parents wait until dismissal is complete before signing out childcare students.
EARLY DISMISSAL: will conclude at 2:45 p.m. Any parent who wishes to sign out their child after 2:45 p.m. will wait until dismissal at 3:10 p.m. Please refer to the Switlik School Handbook.
If you will be picking your child up early, we prefer you notify the school as early in advance as you can, but at least by the morning of pick up. This can be done through a note sent in with the child, or an email to the teacher and principal. In the event of a true emergency, please contact the school reception desk by phone (732) 833-4650 extension 4135, prior to arrival if possible. We realize there are often instances where early pick-up is necessary (medical or other appointments), but we respectfully ask that you limit early sign-outs to only times when they are necessary.
Our Class Schedule
Social Emotional Learning / Health
S.S. / Science
Lunch 11:35 - 12:05