Welcome to freshman English! See college prep class summer reading project information on District page under For Parents and Students.
GET INVOLVED: the JMHS school newspaper meets each Wednesday after school in room 520; Jackson Views, our literary magazine, meets each Thursday after school in room 404. Volunteers welcome!!
Problems or concerns? See Mrs. D. after school in room 517. Remember, you create your own success.
Email me at: email@example.com
- All policies and procedures are followed per student handbook. Cell phone usage is teacher-directed.
- I expect you to be on time to class every day.
- Bathroom breaks are permitted either at the beginning or at the end of class.
- Enter this room prepared: get enough sleep, eat breakfast, bring a pen, don’t forget your homework, and bring the assigned book with a cover on it.
- Late homework is not accepted unless you have been absent. If you are absent due to a school activity, I expect you to check the class page and bring in the required work.
- Please be respectful and courteous to me and to your fellow classmates at all times. This must be a place where everyone can feel comfortable. Raise your hand if you have something relevant to contribute.
- As mandated by the JMHS English department, your grade will be determined as follows: Honors English 1- 65%-tests, quizzes, projects and other assessments, 25%- homework, and 10%- class participation; English 1- 50%- tests, quizzes, projects and other assessments, 30%- homework and 20%- class participation. All freshmen must take final exams.
- Essays and projects should be typed and are due on the day assigned. I must have a hard copy; do not e mail assignments to me. Your grade on the assignment will drop a letter grade for each day late.
- Some assignments are e mailed to Turnitin.com. You will need an e mail address and a password that you can remember.
- You are responsible for checking Genesis and my teacher page. If you have been absent, you must get the notes from me or a classmate, turn in late homework and make up the Do Now.
- Notebook tests are given. They consist of questions from the Do Now book, the planner, homework, and notes.
- Unless I have a meeting, I am available every day after school for help. Let’s have a great semester!
Social distance? Yes. Isolation? No! Stay connected to school, family and friends!
--Phase Two of Remote Learning has begun!
--Teachers are available for email questions from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. each school day.
--You will be reading and responding to questions, etc. on the John Steinbeck novella Of Mice and Men. You can read the novel and/or listen to the Audiobook. Assignments and links will continue to be posted on our Google Classroom. Be aware of younger siblings in the room if you are listening to this novella - it has adult themes and language.
--If you need a chromebook or have other concerns, please let me know. The District is here for you.
--Please check your school gmail often.
ALL CLASSES: We have begun our analysis of Of Mice and Men, the classic John Steinbeck novel of loyalty, friendship and the American Dream. Click here for audiobook: AUDIOBOOK Or, you can read by clicking on: Of Mice and Men ebook. Reading assignments will be posted on our Google classroom each morning.
HONORS students: SNOBBERY! PERSECUTION! OBSESSIVE LOVE! We have completed Stage One of Dickens' Great Expectations. If you are absent, read and complete the study guide for Stage Two. Work on the Stage Two study guide. Reading schedule will continue after we return from Remote Learning.
Grading percentages for Honors English I are as follows: 65% assessment, 25% homework and 10% participation. Furthermore, the final exam is worth 16% of your grade. To be eligible for Honors English II, your final grade in this course must be an 85 or higher.
Grading percentages for English I are as follows: 50% assessment, 30% homework and 20% participation. The final exam is worth 16% of your grade in this class.
Accessing school library databases at home? See the complete list on this page under STUDENT RESOURCES or on our GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
IF YOU ARE ABSENT, it is your responsibility to check our Class Page, hand in homework, make up Do Now and planner. Bring workbook to class every day. If you are on a school trip, work must be handed in ahead of time.
There are no upcoming events to display.