WELCOME TO OUR
WELCOME TO SECOND GRADE
(Please scroll through our class page for some important information.)We are in need of tissues and handwipes. Donations are very welcome!
BOOK CHARACTER DAY - FRIDAY JANUARY 17th!
Dear Parents and Guardians,
As part of our reading initiative to promote lifelong readers, Switlik Elementary School is excited to announce that we will be having a Book Character Spirit Day on Friday, January 17th. On that day, students can come to school dressed up as a character from a favorite book.
Have fun working with your child to plan a simple homemade costume. Please do not buy a book character costume! Just do your best to gather an assortment of hats, clothing, or other props to create a costume. Your child is also encouraged to bring a copy of the book to class that day.
Prizes will be awarded to classes with the most participation. We look forward to all the fun that will be happening throughout the day. Thank you for your support with this activity!
From The Switlik School Main Office
LET ‘S WORK TOGETHER:
Student Safety is always paramount at Switlik School. We are asking for help in allowing our staff to focus on our shared goal of keeping our children safe and focused on learning. We appreciate your continued support and collaboration with us in ensuring that all students are safe.
ENTRANCE PROCEDURES: Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school. We ask that you wait 20 minutes after student arrival to approach the building to be signed in for your visit. (Exceptions are made for scheduled appointments approved by your child’s principal/teacher/counselor.
- All visitors will notify the receptionist using the buzzer by the visitor doors.
- At the buzzer, all visitors are required to present their valid photo identification to the camera, state the purpose of their visit and/or specify with whom they have the appointment or which student they are picking up.
- At the second set of doors, buzz again for access to reception.
- This includes drop off and pick up for morning and aftercare
Please do not hold the door open for others behind you. We realize this feels awkward and against the rules of good manners, but it’s important that each visitor be acknowledged individually through the buzzer system.
- If the appointment and/or purpose is verified, the visitor will be buzzed in and must present themselves to the receptionists immediately upon entry.
- The visitor’s ID will be held until the visitor leaves the building and the visitor will receive a guest badge. This procedure helps us to know that the visitor has departed by ensuring they leave the same way they arrived.
- Please limit “dropped off” items to only those items your child truly needs during the school day (e.g. necessary clothing changes, important schoolwork or lunch/items that are required for that day). Using the buzzer by the visiting door, inform the receptionists these items are on the cart outside the visitor door.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES: Please be advised at no time should any vehicle be entering or exiting through our bus ramp during arrival or dismissal times. Please review and adhere to the following:
Arrival Time: 8:50-9:05 a.m. We will not have staff on duty before this time.
- No child should be left off at the school without a staff member in attendance.
- Morning arrival for children is located at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance).
- Parents who choose the “Kiss and Drop” loop should adhere to the following safety procedures:
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
- Pull up to the gym vestibule entrance doors to drop off your child.
- Parents are to remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Students must exit from the passenger side door.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building during drop off arrival time.
- Do not pass other vehicles while children are exiting from vehicle, this can create a dangerous situation.
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
After 9:05 a.m., the start of the school day, parents dropping off their children must park in the main parking lot and escort them inside to the main office receptionist desk in order to sign them in. At this time, children are considered late. Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school.
No child is to be dropped off at the main entrance without a parent/ guardian signing them in.
Parent Pick Up:
- Doors at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance) for parent pick up will open at 3:05 p.m.
- Present your valid photo identification to the receptionists prior to signing your child out.
- Follow instructions of receptionists as to where to stand while waiting for your child to arrive.
- Please do not park in the bus lane during this time.
- Parents wishing to pick their students up from childcare may begin to do so at 3:15 p.m. We ask that parents wait until dismissal is complete before signing out childcare students.
EARLY DISMISSAL: will conclude at 2:45 p.m. Any parent who wishes to sign out their child after 2:45 p.m. will wait until dismissal at 3:10 p.m. Please refer to the Switlik School Handbook.
If you will be picking your child up early, we prefer you notify the school as early in advance as you can, but at least by the morning of pick up. This can be done through a note sent in with the child, or an email to the teacher and principal. In the event of a true emergency, please contact the school reception desk by phone (732) 833-4650 extension 4135, prior to arrival if possible. We realize there are often instances where early pick-up is necessary (medical or other appointments), but we respectfully ask that you limit early sign-outs to only times when they are necessary.
WE ARE A NUT FREE CLASSROOM! FOR THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR CLASSMATES, PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY BIRTHDAY OR OTHER TREATS THAT MAY CONTAIN NUTS TO SCHOOL
OUR ON LINE CODE FOR SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDERS IS H4CVC scholastic.com/bookclubs
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: THE AWESOME SWITLIK PTN IS IN NEED OF PARENTS WISHING TO VOLUNTEER TO HELP WITH THE WONDERUL ACTIVITIES THAT THEY PROVIDE FOR SWITLIK SCHOOL
IF YOU HAVE AN QUESTIONS, PLEASE CONTACT:
SECOND trimester report cards will be available on the portal for parents on APRIL 2, 2020. If your Portal log-in does not work, please try the “Forgot My Password” link above BEFORE contacting support, as most issues will be resolved through that feature. Please note that the “Forgot Password” link will work only with parents who have an e-mail as their login ID. For questions or problems with your login ID’s or password (or if you do not have them), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and phone number, as well as your child’s name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.
It is suggested that each child have a backpack, extra pencils, and an athletic sock or wash cloth (to erase our individual white boards). I will provide each student with a pencil box with supplies, a planner (courtesy of our fabulous PTN), and a homework folder.
IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF YOUR CHILD IS ABLE TO MEMORIZE THEIR STUDENT ID# AND THEIR BUS#! THANK YOU!
Thank you for the donations of tissues and baby wipes. They are always welcome throughout the school year.
A special thank you to our fabulous PTN for all that they do!
I can can be reached through my email, at email@example.com. I will respond to you as soon as possible. If there is a something that needs immediate attention please send a note with your child. If there is a change in dismissal for the day, a note is required. For example, a note is needed if your child will be picked up instead of riding the bus home or there is a change in child care after school. If a change comes up unexpectedly during the day, please call the main office as soon as possible.
STUDENTS ARE PERMITTED TO HAVE A PLASTIC WATER BOTTLE (WATER ONLY, PLEASE) AT THEIR DESK.
HERE IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WORKING ON
READING WORKSHOP - We are reading non-fiction books.
WRITING - We are writing non-fiction.
SCIENCE - We are learning about the 3 forms of matter.
HEALTH - We have been learning how to make healthy choices for our minds and bodies.
MATH- We are learning to regroup two-digit numbers when adding and subtraction.
Lunch will be at 12:15 daily. Birthdays will be celebrated during lunch. Please make sure that birthday treats are dropped off at school by 11:30
MONDAY - MUSIC
TUESDAY - LIBRARY (please make sure books are returned to school)
WEDNESDAY -PHYSICAL EDUCATION (sneakers must be worn)
We will need to travel outdoors for music and art and will be spending some time on the playground. Please make sure your child is dressed appropriately for the weather.
To access the student edition of our Envision math program and other information:
ENVISION MATH - www.Pearsonrealize.com
INSTRUCTIONS WERE SENT HOME AND ARE ON THE SCHOOL PAGE
User name is STUDENT ID (LUNCH ) #
Password is First name02 (example: Mark02)SWITLIK READING CHALLENGE
STUDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO READ EACH NIGHT. THE BOOKS READ ARE TO BE RECORDED ON THEIR READING LOGS AND INITIALED BY A PARENT. READING LOGS ARE DUE AT THE END OF EACH MONTH.
OUR BUCKET FILLER OF THE WEEK IS DANAJAHIMPORTANT DATESWed. Jan. 8 - School Store during lunchFri. Jan. 17 - Spirit Day - Dress as your favorite storybook characterMon. Jan. 20 - No School - Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
LUNCH - 12:15 daily
MONDAY - Music
TUESDAY - Library
WEDNESDAY - Gym
THURSDAY - Computers
FRIDAY - Art