Welcome to Second Grade!
We had a great first Day!
I am looking forward to working with your child this year. I have many educational and fun activities planned to help your child grow academically and socially. My goal is to create a supportive learning environment for all of my students.
Reading Topic 1: Reading Growth Spurt
Students will know...
- how to read.
- that the more they read, the stronger they become as readers.
- various strategies to figure out tricky words.
- vowel teams in tricky words.
- strategies to check themselves and their reading.
- the intentions of the authors in their own books.
- various craft moves authors use.
- the lesson the author is trying to teach.
WritingStudents will know...
Students will use everything they know to write long and strong.
Student will use mentor texts as a guide to help them "try out" ways the author has made his or her writing special.
Spelling is not starting for a few weeks.
Math Topic 1: Fluently Add and Subtract Within 20
Students will be able to...
- Use counting on to add numbers and add number in any order.
- Use doubles and near doubles to add quickly.
- Use the strategy of making a ten to add quickly and accurately.
- Use number patterns on an addition facts table to complete related addition equations that show basic facts.
- Count on and count back on a number line to subtract.
- Think addition to subtract quickly and accurately.
- Make a ten to subtract quickly and accurately.
- Add and subtract quickly and accurately using mental math strategies.
- Use addition and subtraction to solve word problems.
- Use words, pictures, numbers, and symbols to construct viable math arguments.
On the first day of school your child received the following items:
- Homework Folder
- Glue Stick
Additional Suggested Supplies
- Extra pencils, erasers & glue stick
- Pencil Box (not too big)
Our room is peanut free.
We have 1st lunch. We will have a quick snack in the afternoon.
I usually have pretzels or animal crackers available. If your child brings their own snack please keep it simple.
I allow students to have water bottles on their desks.
No juice, gatorade, etc. in class. Please check bottles to make sure they're not prone to spilling.
Donations of: tissues, hand sanitizer, sanitizing cleaning wipes, pretzels and animal crackers (peanut free) are always appreciated!
Scholastic books: No cash, checks are payable to Scholastic or you can order online at scholastic.com. The class code is H2F6W