Principal's Message, April 4, 2017
Dear Johnson Families,
Good afternoon, I hope everyone had a great week and you are looking forward to a wonderful spring break. This past month we had many activities scheduled at Johnson. Our 2nd grade classes visited the Robert J. Novins Planetarium and our 5th grade classes visited the Sterling Hill Mining Museum. Once again, we celebrated students who exhibited good character in March during Lunch with the Principal. We held Kindergarten Registration during the week of March 20th and our 3rd grade students began PARCC the following Monday, March 27th. By the end of this week we will have finished our first round of PARCC testing for grades 3, 4 and 5. Our next round of PARCC will begin on April 24th.
I want to thank the PTO for sponsoring our field trips and for putting together a fantastic talent show on March 24th. The students did a fantastic job performing! We have many talented students and it was great to see them all working well with one another.
Just a reminder, we have a shortened day on Friday, April 7th so dismissal is at 1:55pm. School will be closed for Spring Break from April 10th to April 17th. We return to school on Tuesday, April 18th.
Due to the upcoming inclement weather on Thursday, April 6, 2017, we will have to postpone the PTO Color Run for the safety of our “runners”. Our new date is going to be Thursday, April 20th, 2017. If you have already pre-registered, please visit us at the registration desk the day of the event. The PTO is no longer excepting pre-registrations. If you are able to make it to this fun filled event, you can still bring your payment on April 20th to participate. If you have any questions, please contact the PTO.
Report Cards are available on the Portal for Parents on Friday, April 7th.
Due to the additional snow day, there has been a change in the 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony date. It will now be held at 2:30pm on Tuesday, June 20th at the Crawford-Rodriguez Elementary School.
At this time of year, many parents call or write to the school regarding their child’s class placement for next year. The ultimate goal of the placement process is to find the best possible match between what is best for the student and what the strengths of each teacher are. Class placement is a complex process that involves the input of many educational professionals and considers many factors. I realize and appreciate your concern, but I will not honor parent requests for particular teachers. I do, however, value your input and individual concerns for your child. I will consider any concern or input that you have to offer, if you provide your concern in writing to me before May 1st.
Please let me explain some of the factors we need to consider in the placement process. In making class placements, some variables carry more weight because of requirements due to special needs and State statutes. It takes approximately six weeks to organize classes based on many factors. Some placement factors are: student emotional needs, academic needs, social needs, occupational and physical therapy scheduling, classroom structure, class/grade population, resource instruction, interaction with peers, speech instruction scheduling, special education inclusion scheduling, child study team placements, balance between boys and girls, medical needs, neighborhood conflicts, former teachers of siblings, remedial reading instruction scheduling, access to special programs, present teacher’s input, and administrative input.
In conclusion, your input as a parent will be considered if you send it to me, in writing, before May 1, 2017. This will allow the educational professionals sufficient time to find the most appropriate match for your child. As always, I appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.
From the PTO
- Gertrude Hawk pick up will be Thursday, April 6th in the main lobby between 5-6 pm.
- Our PTO Food Drive is going on this week. Please send in non perishable food, toiletries & cleaning products by Friday, April 7th so we can distribute to local families in need.
- We have been working with CJBC to try to set up a Blood Drive at our school in the spring. We need a certain number of people to pledge their participation before scheduling a date. Please consider donating to help someone in need. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
- Our very popular Mixed Bag fundraiser will be starting on April 18th! it is a great place to obtain everything you need for summer fun, vacations and Back to School. Look for the brochure to be sent home soon.
- Get out your sweatpants Mom. Our Mother/Son Game Night will be held at Crawford Rodriguez on April 28th. Send in your RSVP today.
- Next Pto Meeting will be April 19th at 9:45. Elections for the new PTO Executive Board will be held.
- BOGO Book Fair ~ April 25-27
- Mother’s Day Plant Sale ~ May 10-12
- Teacher Appreciation Luncheons ~ May 18-23
- Clothing Drive ~ May 23-25
- HCJ BlueClaws Night ~ May 26
As always, please contact the PTO with any questions or concerns at email@example.com