Welcome to the Jackson Memorial Jazz Ensemble Page!
PLEASE NOTE --> The Audition Sign Up Sheet is not longer available in paper format. It is included in the "2019 Audition Materials" folder to the left. Please make sure you sign up in this electronic document.
Please click on the Audition Tab to the Left to Access information needed to have the most successful audition possible.
Some tips about the Audition:
- Please ask questions! They can be asked to Mr. Diaz, Mr. Ficarra, or any other person who has been involved in the auditon
- Please make sure you come prepared for the audition. Looking at the music the night before is not considered prepared. You are going to have to take 30 minutes every night and look through the materials.
- Please make sure you practice "Autumn in New York" with the provided recording. You will have to play this selection with the back track in the audition.
- Please make sure you print, complete and sign the Jazz Ensemble Contact Form. This signature will serve as a contract that you agree to the rigor and schedule of the JMHS Jazz Ensemble.
- Yes, you do need to know ALL of your major scales. Please see comment above (learning them the night before...)
- To understand the Jazz Language, you need to listen to Jazz. There are some great Jazz Listening statations that I will be including on this webpage at a later date. The first one that comes to mind is www.wrti.org. You can listen to Jazz 24 hours a day for free! If you have satalite radio, the Jazz station is Channel 67.
- There will be a sightreading portion in the audition. This can be practiced. You have access to sightreading factory. You can also pick up a Real Book and start playing through as many of those charts as possible.
Most importantly, we encourage as many students to audition as possible. It will be a great experience in the audition process and to really hear what you sound like. We look forward to this process and...