- Jackson School District
- NEW!! Recipe of the Month
Return to Headlines
May 2019: Chicken Cacciatore
Submitted By: Joe Immordino
- 8 pieces of dark meat chicken (Thighs and Drumsticks)
- 1 ounce dried Porcini mushrooms soaked and chopped small. (Reserve the soaking liquid)
- 3 Celery Stalks cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 10 ounces baby Portobello mushrooms cubed
- 2 small shallots sliced
- 2 medium onions cut into 1/8ths
- 4 ounces Speck cubed
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 29 ounces crushed tomatoes
- extra virgin oil to cover the bottom of the pot
- flour for dredging
- salt and black pepper
- Soak the porcini mushrooms in 1 cup warm water. Chop the mushrooms small and set aside. Pour the soaking liquid through a coffee filter and set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Dredge all the pieces of chicken with flour. Set aside
- In a large Dutch oven brown the chicken in the oil 2-3 minutes on each side. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- In the remaining oil, add the rosemary sprig and sauté about 2 minutes. Add the speck and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the celery and onions and sauté until the edges begin to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken back to the pot.
- Add the wine and reduce until no more alcohol can be sensed.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and soaking liquid and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Add the Portobello mushrooms and salt to taste. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes for the mushrooms to soften. Uncover until sauce is reduced and chicken is tender about 15 mins.
- Remove the rosemary sprig and serve.