- Jackson School District
- NEW!! Recipe of the Month
Return to Headlines
November 2019: Sweet Potato and Sausage Stuffing
Sweet Potato & Sausage Stuffing
Submitted by: Joe Immordino
- 1pound ground Italian sausage (or your favorite kind of sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2medium leeks, halved and thinly sliced, white and pale green parts only
- 2stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1apple, cored and diced
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups roughly-diced stale crusty bread*
- 1/2 cupchopped pecans
- 1/3 cupdried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (I used a combo of fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Brown sausage in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a spoon or spatula while it cooks. Once the sausage is cooked, transfer it with a slotted spoon to a separate plate, and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the same sauté pan (or if there is leftover grease from the sausage, I highly recommend using that instead for extra flavor!), and stir in the sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, then sauté for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a separate plate, and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sauté pan, and add the leeks, celery, apple and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and sauté for 5-6 minutes, or until the leeks have softened a bit. Remove from heat.
- Add the sausage, sweet potatoes and leek mixture to a large mixing bowl, along with the bread, pecans, cranberries and herbs.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken stock and eggs until smooth. Pour the egg mixture over the stuffing mixture, and toss until evenly combined.
- Spread the stuffing out evenly in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake (covered) for 40 minutes**. Then remove the foil and bake (uncovered) for 10-15 more minutes, until the top is lightly toasted and golden. (Keep a close eye on the stuff, though, so that it doesn’t accidentally burn.)
- Serve warm, garnished with extra fresh herbs and black pepper if desired.