I'm excited to get our year started! Kindergarten is an incredible year for learning and developing. You will be amazed at how quickly your child will grow this year. They will become readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and good citizens.
*Birthday Treats - are welcome for those special celebrations, but need to be easy to pass out (no cakes or cupcake cakes please) and dropped off to reception before our lunch at 11:45 . Thanks in advance!
Some important dates are coming up...
Teacher Conferences and Shortened Days - 12th-14th
Thanksgiving Breakfast - Thursday, November 15th - 9:30-10:30 (families welcome)
Shortened Day - November 21st
Thanksgiving Break - November 22nd & 23rd
Other Events/Dates To Know About:
12/21 Gingerbread Day 9:40 - 10:40 (parents welcome)
2/14 Valentine’s Day Party (class only)
4/18 Spring Celebration time TBA (parents welcome)
5/31 Insectropolis Trip 9:30 - 12:30 (parents welcome)
6/7 Flag Day Celebration 10:00 - 11:00 (families all welcome)
What are We Learning:
Readers Workshop: We Are Readers & We Are Storybook Readers
Fundations: Letters l, h, and k
Sight Words/Trick Words: in on at an (review)
Writers Workshop: Unit 2: Show and Tell Writing
Math: Topic 3 - Counting and Writing Numbers 6-10
Social Studies: n/a
1) Reading Log (LOGS TO BEGIN IN OCTOBER)- Please TRY to read each night (even weekends) and then color in Reading Log for each book read.
*Many Parents Ask: How can I help my child become a better reader?
- Read to them every day and expose them to the composition and language of books.
- When they are able, have them read to you, or share the reading with them the book.
- If he makes a mistake, simply tell him the correct word and let him move on. This increases enjoyment and fluency.
- To increase comprehension, talk about the story after you've read it.
- Remember to always pick "good- fit" books to read! It is easy to do with the I. P.I.C.K. rules...
I choose a book
Purpose- Why do I want to read it?
Interest- Am I interested in it?
Comprehend- Am I understanding what I am reading?
Know- I know most of the words
2) Math - Math Envision Homework Page (if different from Envision Math page then look for HW on corner of page)
- Math HW will only be given every Monday-Thursday (this may change because of holidays)
- Page is usually 2-sided and will be inside your child's folder
- Assistance will be needed for reading directions (at bottom of pages)
- All students should TRY to complete all HW with help as needed... parents please let me know if your child struggled with completing HW the very next day
- Higher Order Thinking Questions are to be tried but not required
3) Nightly Letter and Sight Word Practice
- Each child will have alphabet letters and/or words to practice in reading bags each night (weekends recommended)
I like to have a kind and respectful environment every day in my room, where each child in it feels respected, safe, and loved! Parents please help me to encourage your child to show kindness, respect and appreciation to others... here are some ideas to do at home:
- Greet others, make eye contact, and ask others about their day.
- Compliment others often.
- Ask a friend, neighbor or family member if you can help them complete a task or chore.
- Help around the house, beaches, parks, libraries or community.
- Create a calendar at home each month with daily tasks of kindness, respect, or appreciation for family or friends.
*WHEN YOUR CHILD DOES ONE OR MORE OF ANY ABOVE, I'D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT AND HAVE YOUR CHILD SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH THEIR FRIENDS AND CLASSMATES!
"Treat Everybody Like it's their Birthday!" - Kid President
OUR DAILY SCHEDULE:
9:25 – 9:30 Arrival and Unpack
9:30 – 10:00 Morning Meeting
10:00 – 10:30 WIN
10:30 – 11:15 Reader’s Workshop
11:15 – 11:45 Fundations
11:45 – 12:15 Lunch
12:17 – 12:57 Special (M, W, TH, F Only)
1:00 – 2:00 Math (M, W, TH, F Only)
12:20 – 1:10 Math (Tuesday Only)
1:10 – 1:20 Bathroom Break (Tuesday Only)
1:20 – 2:00 Special (Tuesday Only)
2:00 – 2:40 Science / Social Studies
2:40 – 3:00 Recess
3:00 – 3:20 Writing Workshop
3:20 – 3:25 Pack Up
3:25 – 3:30 Dismissal
Monday: Library (12:17)
Tuesday: GYM 2:45 - Please wear sneakers
Wednesday: Music (12:17)
Thursday: Computers (12:17)
Friday: Art (12:17)
As you can see, we have a very busy schedule. Making sure your child is well rested and has a good breakfast is an excellent way to help them flourish. Please arrive to school on time each day as we will getting our day started right away!