I'm excited, Kindergarten is an incredible year for learning and developing. We will accomplish so much in such a short time. You will be amazed at how quickly your child will grow this year. They will become readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and good citizens. I look forward to seeing your children grow this school year!
*Birthday Treats - are welcome for those special celebrations, but need to be easy to pass out (no cakes or cupcake cakes please) and please have them dropped off to reception before our lunch at 11:30. Thanks in advance.
* please make sure your child brings or wears a coat to school everyday as the weather gets colder!
Some important dates are coming up...
Jan. 24th - Reading Arts Day - School Event Only
Feb. 3rd - School Closed for Staff Inservice Day
Feb. 14th - Valentine's Day Celebration - Class Only Event
Feb. 17th - School Closed for Presidents Day Holiday
Other Events/Dates To Know About:
What are We Learning this Week:
Readers Workshop: Superreaders and Reading Bigger and Bigger Books
Fundations: UPPERCASE LETTERS and Tapping Out CVC words (c-a-t) and (d-o-g)
Sight Words/Trick Words: dad his as
Writers Workshop: Show and Tell Writing
Math: Topic 6 Finish and Assessment (Understanding Addition) and Begin Unit 7 - Understanding Subtraction
Social Studies: Neighborhoods and Towns
1) Reading Log (LOGS TO BEGIN IN OCTOBER)- Please TRY to read each night (even weekends) and then color in Reading Log for each book read.
*Many Parents Ask: How can I help my child become a better reader?
- Read to them every day and expose them to the composition and language of books.
- When they are able, have them read to you, or share the reading with them the book.
- If he makes a mistake, simply tell him or her the correct word and let him or her move on. This increases enjoyment and fluency.
- To increase comprehension, talk about the story after you've read it.
- Remember to always pick "good- fit" books to read! It is easy to do with the I. P.I.C.K. rules...
I choose a book
Purpose- Why do I want to read it?
Interest- Am I interested in it?
Comprehend- Am I understanding what I am reading?
Know- I know most of the words
*if not, pick another book.
2) Math - Math Envision Homework Page (if different from Envision Math page then look for HW on corner of page)
- Math HW will only be given every Monday-Thursday (this may change because of holidays)
- Page is usually 2-sided and will be inside your child's folder
- Assistance will be needed for reading directions (at bottom of pages)
- All students should TRY to complete all HW with help as needed... parents please let me know if your child struggled with completing HW the very next day
- Higher Order Thinking Questions are to be tried but not required
3) Nightly Fundations - Letter and Sight Word Practice
- Each child will have alphabet letters and/or words to practice (weekends recommended).
I like to have a kind and respectful environment every day in my room, where each child in it feels respected, safe, and loved! Parents please help me to encourage your child to show kindness, respect and appreciation to others... here are some ideas to do at home:
- Greet others, make eye contact, and ask others about their day.
- Compliment others often.
- Ask a friend, neighbor or family member if you can help them complete a task or chore.
- Help around the house, beaches, parks, libraries or community.
- Create a calendar at home each month with daily tasks of kindness, respect, or appreciation for family or friends.
*WHEN YOUR CHILD DOES ONE OR MORE OF ANY ABOVE, I'D LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT IT AND HAVE YOUR CHILD SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCES WITH THEIR FRIENDS AND CLASSMATES!
"Treat Everybody Like it's Their Birthday!" - Kid President
OUR DAILY SCHEDULE:
9:20 – 9:30 Arrival and Unpack
9:30 – 9:50 Morning Meeting
9:50 – 10:30 Fundations
10:30 – 11:10 Reader’s Workshop
11:10 – 11:30 Writer's Workshop
11:30 – 12:00 Lunch
12:00 – 12:20 Recess
12:20 - 1:20 Tuesday - Music
12:40 – 1:20 Monday-Art & Thursday-Computers
1:20 – 2:00 GYM (Wednesday Only) *MUST HAVE SNEAKERS
Friday - Library
Math Continued (M, T, F Only)
2:00 – 2:40 Science or Social Studies - & ESL Classtime
2:40 – 3:00 WIN
3:10 - 3:25 Pack-Up & Closing Circle
3:25 – 3:30 Dismissal
TUES. - MUSIC
WEDNESDAY: GYM (1:20) - All students must wear sneakers to participate
THURS. - COMPUTERS
FRI. - LIBRARY
As you can see, we have a very busy schedule. Making sure your child is well rested and has a good breakfast is an excellent way to help them flourish. Please arrive to school on time each day as we will getting our day started right away!