- Holman Elementary School
October Principal's Message 2020
Dear Holman Families,
The leaves are turning colors, the temperatures are finally beginning to fall, and the night sky is getting darker more quickly each day. Fall is here!
It was great to hear that many families joined in for our Virtual Back to School Nights. It’s nice to be a part of a great community that is invested in the education of their children.
Please note that school is in session on Monday, October 12th
***VERY IMPORTANT - Daily Health Screening for Students:
- Please read the questions carefully!
- The first question is asking if your child has been FEVER-FREE for 24 hours without the help of fever-reducing medication. So the answer to this question, if your child is healthy, is “YES”.
- If you answer incorrectly, when your child gets sent to the nurse and we call you, we can reset the form for you to answer it correctly.
Regular School Hours:
School hours are Grades K-5 - 8:45 am – 1:15 pm
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
School Safety Week
During the week of October 19-23, Holman School will be celebrating School Safety Week.
- Monday, Be a Hero - Dress like a superhero or wear a superhero shirt.
- Tuesday, Peace, Love and Happiness - Wear peace signs/tie dye
- Wednesday, Unity Day - Wear orange - unite for a safe school
- Thursday, Throw Kindness Around Like Confetti - Wear many colors
- Friday, United as One - Wear Holman School spiritwear
Red Ribbon Week
October 26th - October 30: This week and every day hereafter, Holman students will pledge to lead a drug and alcohol free life. Each day this week, we will show each other and our friends and family in and out of school that we will not become involved with drugs by showing all different ways we can do that. Every day this week will have a different theme, bringing focus to us all leading healthier, drug free lives:
- Monday, October 26th— Proud to be Drug Free - Wear RED to kick off Red Ribbon Week
- Tuesday, October 27th—Team up Against Drugs - Wear a team jersey or shirt
- Wednesday, October 28th—Put a Cap on Drugs – Wear your favorite hat OR GROUP 1: Wear your Halloween costume to school
- Thursday, October 29th— Lei Off Drugs - Wear a Hawaiian shirt or a lei OR Group 2: Wear your Halloween costume to school
- Friday, October 30th— My Future is Bright - No Drugs in Sight - Wear neon or bright colors
In keeping with the spirit of fun, children may dress in costumes on Wednesday, October 28th (Group 1) or Thursday, October 29th (Group 2), if they wish. Children who choose to participate should come to school dressed in their costumes and be prepared to remain in their costumes all day. Please keep in mind that costumes should be comfortable and allow for children to move freely and should not depict any sort of violence. Remember that your child will need to sit, write, walk, and eat lunch and/or snack as well as do other school-related activities. If your child chooses to wear a costume, it should lend itself to these activities.
Of course, safety is the utmost concern. In order to provide for a safe, fun experience for all, please be sure to adhere to the following precautions:
- Facial Masks (for COVID prevention) must continue to be worn all day.
- COSTUME MASKS may NOT be worn at any time.
- Please plan to apply make-up at home.
- Fake weapon accessories are prohibited. (Costume peripherals should stay at home, please.) Costumes must be school dress code appropriate.
- There will be no classroom celebrations involving outside relatives or visitors. Due to COVID protocols in place, parents/guardians/guests will not be permitted in the building this year.
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications were sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. If a new application for prior recipients is not received, the full price for lunch will be charged. Free/reduced meal status from last year will be honored through October 20, 2020. PLEASE NOTE, THAT IF AN APPLICATION IS NOT RECEIVED BY OCTOBER 20, 2020, YOUR BENEFITS WILL NOT BE RENEWED.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please fill out a Parent/Student Technology Assistance Request Form
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620. For all other issues regarding passwords and logins, please use the request form above...please do not contact the main office.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. In fact, these videos were created by our own Kindergarten teachers at Holman.
- How to Log Into Google Classroom
- Google Classroom Login
- How to Open Assignments and Add Work in Google Classroom
- Pearson Login (Math)
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
HOPE (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
Please mark your calendars for our next HOPE meeting which will be held virtually at 7:00PM on October 28. The meeting website, ID and Passcode will be forthcoming.
Additional Date(s) to Remember in October and Looking Forward:
Wednesday, October 21: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm (Please check the district website to determine if the meeting will be held at a given location or virtually.)
Holman Elementary School will be closed the week of November 2nd-November 6th.
Enjoy everything that Fall has to offer!
Principal, Holman Elementary