- Holman Elementary School
September Principal's Message 2023
Dear Holman Families,
Welcome back to Holman Elementary School for the 2023-2024 school year! Thank you to all of our teachers and staff for their dedication in preparing their classrooms and planning engaging instructional lessons. Thanks to all of the HOPE members who assisted with the 2023-2024 calendar and helped to plan all of the events for this school year. Thank you to the secretaries who have answered the concerns of parents, organized incoming materials, and prepared items for the first day of school. A big thank you to all of our custodial staff for cleaning and preparing the building to make it look fabulous for the return of our staff and students.
It is an honor to be the proud Principal of Holman Elementary School. The Holman staff and I are excited about starting a new year filled with great instruction and fun for students and parents of the community. Don’t forget to check the District web page, the Holman School website, and the District calendar for information regarding all events and activities during the school year.
Back to School Night
Pre K - Tuesday - September 12th at 5:30 pm
Grades K-2: Tuesday - September 12th at 7:00 pm
Grades 3-5: Wednesday - September 13th at 7:00 pm
Regular School Hours, Arrival, and Dismissal
Please note that school hours are Grades PreK-5 - 9:10 am – 3:20 pm
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day.
There will be three choices for end of the day student dismissal. Students may take the bus, be picked up at the walker dismissal site, or be picked up in the car line. Parents choosing the car line dismissal must fill out paperwork and pick up their child(ren) everyday on the car line.
Parents who ignore this new procedure and try to pick up their child(ren) in the main lobby at the end of the day on a consistent basis will kindly be asked to choose an alternative dismissal option. Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well being of our students and staff members.
Between 9:00 AM and 9:10 AM – Outside, at the side entrance of the school.
- Only students in Child Care will be admitted into the building prior to 9:00 A.M.
- Please DO NOT PARK in front of our building by blocking the fire lane. Ample parking spaces, visitor slots, and handicapped parking are available directly in front of our building.
- A.M. Carline Arrival begins on September 6th at the side entrance of the school. (P.M. Carline does not begin until September 11th)
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the cones. Automobile traffic is PROHIBITED in the bus parking/standing area in the FRONT and on the SIDES of our school daily between 8:40 and 9:25 A.M.; and between 2:50 and 3:40 P.M..
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY
- Staff on duty will supervise students during this time.
- Be aware of traffic pattern; please do not move ahead or cut across the line
- Please note: Side entrance closes at 9:10 A.M.
- Tardy students (arriving after 9:10 A.M.) must enter through the main entrance with a parent/guardian and will need to be signed in by a parent/guardian with the receptionist. (NOTE: Carline entrance is locked at 9:10 A.M. daily….please DO NOT drop your child off at the side entrance after 9:10A.M.)
- Late students must be escorted by an adult and signed in via the front entrance. Students are NOT PERMITTED to walk from the parking lot into the school at this time UNLESS accompanied by an adult.
PICK-UP/DISMISSAL: (Please note that Carline dismissal procedures begin 9/11/2023)
- Prior to 2:50 P.M.: Early pick-up ONLY in the lobby with a note. In addition to the note, it is best to call ahead and also let us know that you are coming to the school. (must come by 2:50 P.M. in the main reception area to ensure safety at dismissal). Proper identification is always necessary.
- Parents/Guardians need to come inside and sign the child out with the receptionist. Others need a written note or must be on the EMERGENCY Contact List to sign the child out with the receptionist. Proper identification is always necessary.
- Carline procedures from 9/11/2023 until the end of the year are as follows:
- P.M. Carline Students are dismissed at 3:20 P.M.
- Parents/Guardians should not leave their cars for carline pickup
- Staff on duty will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time.
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only; it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or cut the line; this will ensure the safety for all of our learners.
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
ATTENTION ALL CARLINE DISMISSAL PARENTS:
******The car line will not be in effect until Monday, September 11, 2023******
We do understand that some parents may need to pick up their child(ren) in the main lobby during the first few days of school due to the fact that the car line dismissal does not start until the 12th. This is understandable . However, the main lobby dismissal may not continue after the 12th of September on a consistent basis as stated above. Thank You!
Students walking to school will enter the school in the morning and exit at dismissal using the rear gymnasium doors in the back of the building. Duty Teachers will be posted to assist and monitor students at 9:00 A.M. and 3:20 P.M. Walkers will be dismissed from the rear gymnasium doors at the end of the day.
REMINDER: STUDENTS "WILL NOT" be dismissed to any adult that is NOT listed on their EMERGENCY FORM.
Information regarding school lunch and food services can be found on the JSD webpage. Students in Grades K-5 are reminded to bring their student ID cards for lunch/snack purchases. More information will be in the Holman Student Handbook and on the district and school web page.
Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms, if applicable. Submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. These forms are posted on our school website. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms and to set up a student account to purchase items from the cafeteria.
If your child has a Chromebook from last year, please continue to monitor it to ensure it is in working order. If it is not working, please bring it to your school so a technician can work on it.
Chromebook Repair Costs:
- New screen: $39.00 (subject to change)
- New Keyboard: $60.00 (subject to change)
- Replacement charger: USB-C charger $32.00 (subject to change)
- New Chromebook: $250 (subject to change)
FYI - All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the "Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login page BEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
Staying connected with Holman
(I strongly encourage you to use these resources to help keep you informed with everything currently happening at Holman.)
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
HOPE (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
H.O.P.E. is so excited to be back in September with in-person events and fundraisers; however, we NEED the help of our parents!! We are looking for the help of our Holman parents to coordinate our events and fundraisers. You will be working closely with one of the Board members, but the Board just can't do it all!
If you are interested in something, please feel free to email email@example.com
Please mark your calendars for our first HOPE meeting which will be held in the Holman IMC at 7:00 pm on September 27th.
As a reminder, school will not be in session on Monday, September 25th.
Additional Date(s) to Remember in September
Wednesday, September 20th: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm will be held at JMHS Fine Arts Auditorium.
I look forward to an outstanding school year.
Principal, Holman Elementary