- Holman Elementary School
- Principal's Page
September Principal's Message
Dear Holman Families,
It's the start of a new school year. I hope everyone had a wonderful summer break. I had the opportunity to meet many of our new Kindergarteners. The students looked happy and excited to be at Holman. Holman is ready to start on September 6th. The teachers have been working diligently on their rooms and preparing for the first few days of school. I also want to thank the custodians and secretaries for working so hard and doing an outstanding job these past few weeks preparing the building for September 6th.
During the next few weeks of school, please help your child learn his/her bus number and bring their bus pass to school for the first few weeks. Students attending Kindergarten and First Grade should wear their bus pass for the first two weeks of school to assist staff members in directing the children to the appropriate classroom. If your child is purchasing lunch or breakfast, it is also important to review your child’s seven-digit ID number. This ID number is used for all food services purchases.
Holman will be conducting its first fire drill and security drill for the year. Prior to these drills, I will read a script informing students about the drill and the importance of proper behavior during a drill. Please relay to your children the importance of paying attention to the teacher and being extremely quiet both during drills and real emergencies. These drills foster student safety and are important to practice regularly. I thank you in advance for your assistance.
As we look forward to the start of the new school year, the Holman staff is committed to providing every child the opportunity to excel academically, physically and socially. We know that we can only achieve this through the partnership between the school, our parents and the children. Holman Elementary has an ongoing tradition of supportive, hard –working parents. Parents have the opportunity to further that partnership in a wide variety of ways. Parents can join the H.O.P.E., volunteer in classrooms, attend field trips, help at evening events, attend American Education Week and read with their children on a daily basis. Children love seeing their parents involved in some way at school.
Parent Organization (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
Please mark your calendars for our first HOPE meeting which will be held at 7:00PM in the IMC on Thursday, September 14th. We look forward to seeing you there!
Listed below are some preliminary PTN events:
Various Fundraisers throughout the month of September
Special Person Day:
Thursday – October 5th
- Session 1 – Grades K, 1, and 2 – 9:45am
- Session 2 – Grades 3, 4, and 5 – 1:45pm
HOPE Fall Festival:
Thursday – October 19th Fun Fall Activities for the entire family
Other Important Upcoming Dates to Remember:
Back to School Night:
Grades 3-5: Monday - September 25th at 7:00 PM in the APR
Grades K-2: Wednesday - September 27th at 7:00 PM in the APR
There you will have an opportunity to hear about some of our programs and begin forging that all-important relationship with the classroom teacher, as well as learn about the grade level curriculum, specialists, classroom technology, and other educational activities. I hope that you will visit the Holman School Website http://www.jacksonsd.org (then click on Select A School) often for the latest in news and information.
Schools closed: As a reminder, school WILL NOT be in session on the following dates: Thursday, September 21st, & Friday, September 22nd.
BOE meeting: Tuesday, September 19: Board of Education Meeting: 7:00 pm (Administration Building)
Regular School Hours: Please note that school hours are Grades K-5 - 8:45 am – 2:55 pm.
Please see the district website for calendar dates and other important school times such as delayed opening and early dismissal.
Food Services: Breakfast is served in the all-purpose room prior to the start of the school day. Only students who are purchasing breakfast may sit in the APR during this time. Outside food is prohibited during breakfast service. Information regarding school lunch and food services can be found on the JSD webpage. Information regarding school lunch and food services can be found on the JSD webpage. Students in Grades K-5 are reminded to practice their Student ID# for lunch/snack purchases. More information will be in the Holman Student Handbook and on the district and school web page.
Free and Reduce Lunch Application:
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications are sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. If a new application for prior recipients is not received, the full price for lunch will be charged.
IMPORTANT ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL INFORMATION:
To ensure the safety of all of our learners – it is imperative that the following procedures are understood and adhered to each day. Please call the main office directly if you need further clarification as to these procedures. Thank you for keeping all of our learners safe!
- Please DO NOT DOUBLE PARK in front of our building by blocking the fire lane. Ample parking spaces, visitor slots, and handicapped parking are available directly in front of our building.
- For school and traffic safety: Automobile traffic is PROHIBITED in the bus parking/standing area in the FRONT and on the SIDES of our school daily between 8:15 and 9:00am; and between 2:30 and 3:15pm.
- If your child is late (after 8:45AM) please note that the carline entrance is CLOSED and LOCKED at 8:45AM, the start of homeroom. Students are NOT PERMITTED to walk from the parking lot into the school at this time UNLESS accompanied by an adult. Please PARK in the SOUTH LOT (the lot on the right hand side of the school by the fields) and then physically accompany your child into the building to sign them in. Parking in front of the school is prohibited from 8:15am – 9:00 am. Thank you for working with us to ensure the safety of all of our learners.
- If you are picking up your child/children from school after 2:30PM - You must park in the SOUTH LOT (the area on the right hand side of the school by the fields) as busses begin to enter and arrive in the front of the building at this time for dismissal, therefore, car traffic is prohibited.
******The PM Carline will not be in effect until Monday, September 18th******
Carline procedures until the end of the year are as follows:
A.M. Carline Procedures:
- Student drop off is between 8:35 A.M. and 8:45 A.M. at the SOUTH entrance (the entrance on the right hand side of the building by the loading dock)
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY
- Be aware of traffic pattern; please do not move ahead or cut across the line
- South entrance doors (the doors by the loading dock) close and are locked promptly at 8:45 A.M.; therefore, there is no access into the building from here after 8:45 A.M. If you arrive late to the carline (after 8:45am), please park in the south parking lot (the lot on the right hand side of the building by the fields.) Late students must be escorted by an adult and signed in via the front entrance.
P.M. Carline Procedures: (in effect Monday, September 18th)
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
- P.M. Carline Students are dismissed between 2:55 P.M. and 3:10 P.M.
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup
- Duty teachers will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time.
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only; it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or cut the line; this will ensure the safety for all of our learners.
Students walking to school will enter the school in the morning and exit at dismissal using the rear gymnasium doors in the back of the building. Duty Teachers will be posted to assist and monitor students at 8:35AM and 2:55PM. Walkers will be dismissed from the rear gymnasium doors at the end of the day.
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE:
- Parents/Guardians MUST use the " GREEN Change in Dismissal Form" – Which are distributed the first day of school and have detailed instructions on the back of the form. NOTE: Additional forms are available in Holman's E-Backpack. REMINDER: STUDENTS "WILL NOT" be dismissed to any adult that is NOT listed on their EMERGENCY FORM.
All the best for a great school year!
Principal, Holman Elementary