- Holman Elementary School
- Principal's Page
New School Year Principal's Message
Dear Holman Families,
I hope the summer finds you rested, relaxed, and enjoying all of the wonderful things that summer brings. As you continue to enjoy the warmer days in August....I would like to welcome all of you to the new 2018-2019 school year at the Lucy N. Holman Elementary School. The First Day of School for all students will be Thursday, September 6th.
NEW DISMISSAL INFORMATION…..PLEASE READ:
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, starting this school year (2018-19), parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will be only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day.
There will be three choices for end of the day student dismissal. Students may take the bus, be picked up at the walker dismissal site, or be picked up in the car line. Parents choosing the car line dismissal must fill out paperwork and pick up their child(ren) everyday on the car line.
Parents who ignore this new procedure and try to pick up their child(ren) in the main lobby at the end of the day on a consistent basis will kindly be asked to choose an alternative dismissal option.
Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well being of our students and staff members.
The ELEMENTARY PORTAL opens on Tuesday, August 28th. You may use your Portal Access Information to obtain student schedules.
Parents of incoming Kindergarten students will be receiving a letter with various school information and a color-coded tag with the teacher assignment. This color-coded tag will help our staff to assist with the arrival and dismissal of our precious newcomers. Parents of incoming Kindergarten students are invited to come to Holman’s Kindergarten Orientation. Parents will learn about the Kindergarten day, our wonderful school, and the curriculum. Students will meet their teacher, participate in a brief activity and tour the school and a bus. The program will last approximately one (1) hour. We look forward to seeing all new Kindergarten students and their parents on Thursday, August 30 at 10:00am in the APR. Parents and students may enter through the main front entrance of the Holman School.
Bus passes will be available on the portal on Tuesday, August 28th. Please assist your child in learning their bus number and have them bring their bus pass to school for the first few weeks. Children in Kindergarten and First Grade should wear their bus pass for the first few weeks of school as well. If you are unable to print your bus pass or do not have computer access, you may come to the Administration Building (151 Don Connor Blvd.) on Thursday, Aug. 30 or Friday, Aug. 31 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Do not go to your child’s school to request your pass. Please remember to bring photo ID.
If your child(ren) are attending the Jackson Child Care Program, please send in clear instructions on dismissal directions the first two (2) days of school for your child’s teacher to avoid potential confusion.
Information regarding school lunch and food services can be found on the JSD webpage. Students in Grades K-5 are reminded to practice their Student ID# for lunch/snack purchases. More information will be in the Holman Student Handbook and on the district and school web page.
Back to School Night:
Grades K-2: Monday - September 17th at 7:00 PM in the APR
Grades 3-5: Wednesday - September 26th at 7:00 PM in the APR
American Education Week:
During American Education Week we invite you or a special loved one to come to your child's classroom to observe a lesson or help with a hands-on activity. Classroom visits are as follows.
Grades K - 2: Tuesday, 11/13 at 10:00AM
Grades 3 - 5: Wednesday, 11/14 at 10:30AM
Parent Organization (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
Please mark your calendars for our first HOPE meeting which will be held at 7:00PM in the IMC on Thursday, September 13, 2018. We look forward to seeing you there!
As a reminder, school WILL NOT be in session on the following dates:
Monday, September 10th & Tuesday, September 11th
Additional Date(s) to Remember in September:
Tuesday, September 25th: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm (Administration Building)
Regular School Hours: Please note that school hours are Grades K-5 - 8:45 am – 2:55 pm
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL INFORMATION:
To ensure the safety of all of our learners – it is imperative that the following procedures are understood and adhered to each day. Please call the main office directly if you need further clarification as to these procedures. Thank you for keeping all of our learners safe!
- Please DO NOT PARK in front of our building by blocking the fire lane. Ample parking spaces, visitor slots, and handicapped parking are available directly in front of our building.
- For school and traffic safety: Automobile traffic is PROHIBITED in the bus parking/standing area in the FRONT and on the SIDES of our school daily between 8:15 and 9:00am; and between 2:30 and 3:15pm.
- If your child is late (after 8:45AM) please note that the carline entrance is CLOSED and LOCKED at 8:45AM, the start of homeroom. Students are NOT PERMITTED to walk from the parking lot into the school at this time UNLESS accompanied by an adult. Please PARK in the SOUTH LOT (the parking lot on the right hand side of the school - facing the school) and then physically accompany your child into the building to sign them in. Parking in front of the school is prohibited from 8:15am – 9:00 am. Thank you for working with us to ensure the safety of all of our learners.
******The Carline will not be in effect until Monday, September 17th******
Carline procedures from 9/17/2018 until the end of the year are as follows:
A.M. Carline Procedures:
- Student drop off is between 8:35 A.M. and 8:45 A.M. at the SOUTH entrance (the entrance on the right hand side of the building by the loading dock)
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY
- Be aware of traffic pattern; please do not move ahead or cut across the line
- South entrance doors (the doors by the loading dock) close and are locked promptly at 8:45 A.M.; therefore, there is no access into the building from here after 8:45 A.M. If you arrive late to the carline (after 8:45am), please park in the south parking lot (the lot on the right hand side of the building by the fields.) Late students must be escorted by an adult and signed in via the front entrance.
P.M. Carline Procedures:
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
- P.M. Carline Students are dismissed between 2:55 P.M. and 3:10 P.M.
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup
- Duty teachers will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time.
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only; it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or cut the line; this will ensure the safety for all of our learners.
Students walking to school will enter the school in the morning and exit at dismissal using the rear gymnasium doors in the back of the building. Duty Teachers will be posted to assist and monitor students at 8:35AM and 2:55PM. Walkers will be dismissed from the rear gymnasium doors at the end of the day.
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE:
- Parents/Guardians MUST use the " GREEN Change in Dismissal Form" – Which are distributed the first day of school and have detailed instructions on the back of the form. NOTE: Additional forms are available in Holman's E-Backpack. REMINDER: STUDENTS "WILL NOT" be dismissed to any adult that is NOT listed on their EMERGENCY FORM.
I can’t wait to see all of you on September 6th and look forward to an outstanding school year.
Principal, Holman Elementary