- Holman Elementary School
- Principal's Page
October Principal's Message 2021
Dear Holman Families,
The leaves are turning colors, the temperatures are finally beginning to fall, and the night sky is getting darker more quickly each day. Fall is here!
It was great to hear that many families joined in for our Back to School Nights. It’s nice to be a part of a great community that is invested in the education of their children.
On September 21, 2021, the staff of Lucy N. Holman Elementary School was informed that they had received the National Blue Ribbon School award in 2021. This distinction was given to 325 public and private schools in the entire United States. Only nine schools in New Jersey were awarded this distinction. Of these nine schools, only one school from Ocean County was named. Holman was honored for Exemplary High Performing Schools. I am extremely proud of our staff, students and community.
Regular School Hours
School hours are Grades PK-5 - 8:45 am – 2:55 pm
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
Week of Respect (October 4 - 8)
During the week of October 4-8, Holman will be celebrating Week of Respect
- Monday, Stomp Out Bullying - Wear a Blue Shirt to Stomp Out Bullying
- Tuesday, Follow the Golden Rule- Students & staff invited to wear Yellow/Gold
- Wednesday, We are Positive- Wear A Positive Vibe/Saying Shirt
- Thursday, Crazy for Kindness - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday, We Are All Different - Wear mismatched clothes
School Safety Week (October 18 - 22)
During the week of October 18-22, Holman School will be celebrating School Safety Week.
- Monday, Be a HERO - Dress like a superhero or wear a superhero shirt.
- Tuesday, Peace, Love and Happiness - Wear peace signs/tie dye
- Wednesday, Unity Day - Wear Orange - Unite for a safe school
- Thursday, Kindness is Classy - Dress to impress - It’s picture Day
- Friday, United as One - Wear Holman School spiritwear
Red Ribbon Week (October 25 - 29)
October 25-29, This week and every day hereafter, Holman students will pledge to lead a drug and alcohol free life. Each day this week, we will show each other and our friends and family in and out of school that we will not become involved with drugs by showing all different ways we can do that. Every day this week will have a different theme, bringing focus to us all leading healthier, drug free lives:
- Monday, Proud to be Drug Free - Wear RED to kick off Red Ribbon Week
- Tuesday, Team up Against Drugs - Wear a team jersey or shirt
- Wednesday, Put a Cap on Drugs – Wear your favorite hat
- Thursday, My Future is Bright. No Drugs in Sight - Wear neon or bright colors
- Friday, Scare Drugs Away - It’s Halloween - Wear your costume (see guidelines below)
In keeping with the spirit of fun, children may dress in costumes on Friday, October 29th, if they wish. Children who choose to participate should come to school dressed in their costumes and be prepared to remain in their costumes all day. Please keep in mind that costumes should be comfortable and allow for children to move freely and should not depict any sort of violence. Remember that your child, while in his/her costume, will need to be able to sit, write, walk, and eat lunch and/or snack as well as do other school-related activities. If your child chooses to wear a costume, it should lend itself to these activities.
Of course, safety is the utmost concern. In order to provide for a safe and fun experience for all, please be sure to adhere to the following precautions:
- Facial Masks (for COVID prevention) must continue to be worn all day.
- COSTUME MASKS may NOT be worn at any time.
- Please plan to apply make-up at home.
- Costumes must be school dress code appropriate.
- Fake weapon accessories are prohibited. (All costume peripherals should stay at home, please.)
- There will be no classroom celebrations involving outside relatives or visitors. Due to COVID protocols in place, parents/guardians/guests will not be permitted in the building this year.
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications were sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms. Although all students are eligible to receive free breakfast/lunch, submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms.
All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook. Cases for Chromebooks are also available for purchase. Please click on this link to view the flyer for more information.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the 'Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login page BEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. In fact, these videos were created by our own Kindergarten teachers at Holman.
- How to Log Into Google Classroom
- Google Classroom Login
- How to Open Assignments and Add Work in Google Classroom
- Pearson Login (Math)
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
Staying connected with Holman
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- District website, School website, teacher class pages
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
As the parent-teacher conference days approach in November, I hope that you will have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher either virtually or in-person regarding their academic and behavioral progress so far this school year. Conferences are an important component to ensure that the school and the home work together to maximize your child’s full potential. Parent-teacher conferences will take place on November 16, 17, and 18. Conferences may be held in-person or virtually, if a parent wishes to do so.
Conference Schedule Dates - November 16 - 18 - Conferences will be on the following days: Please schedule your conference(s) through the Parent Portal (more information will be forthcoming regarding dates and times to sign up).
- Tuesday, November 16th - Afternoon and Evening conferences
- Wednesday, November 17th - Afternoon conferences
- Thursday, November 18th - Afternoon conferences
How To Schedule Your Parent -Teacher Conference In Portal
Once it opens for scheduling, you can:
- Log into your Portal account
- Select the CONFERENCES tab at the top
- Select the “Request a Conference” link
Change the date on the window to the week of Nov. 15th to see the time slots available on Nov. 16, 17, and 17 for your child’s teacher. Once completed, you will see your reserved conference on the main page of the conference tab. You can use this link to cancel or change the conference if you need to.
HOPE (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
Please mark your calendars for our next HOPE meeting which will be held in person/ virtually at 7:00PM on October 20. The meeting website, ID and Passcode will be forthcoming.
- October 1-8th - Book Fair
- October 4-15th - Mike's Crumb Cake
- Fundraiser October 4-22nd- Virtual Pumpkin Decorating Contest
- October 13th - 4PM - 8PM -Dine to Donate Panera
- October 20th- 7PM -HOPE meeting - In person in the library or join us virtually
- Join Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/97977266364?pwd=djcxTDFMaH Mvci9TZXRIT0tKZ3h2dz09
- Meeting ID: 979 7726 6364
- Passcode: 2acHbg
- October 28th- Trunk or Treat
Additional Date(s) to Remember in October and Looking Forward
Wednesday, October 27: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm at the Fine Arts Center at Jackson Memorial Highschool.
Holman Elementary School will be closed the 4th and 5th of November for NJEA Convention.
Enjoy everything that Fall has to offer!
Principal, Holman Elementary