- Holman Elementary School
September Principal's Message 2021
Dear Holman Families,
Welcome back to Holman Elementary School for the 2021- 2022 school year! Thank you to all of our teachers and staff for their dedication in preparing their classrooms and planning engaging instructional lessons. Thanks to all of the HOPE members who assisted with the 2019-2020 “Tree of Knowledge” and helped to plan all of the events for this school year. Thank you to the secretaries who have answered the concerns of parents, organized incoming materials, and prepared items for the first day of school. A big thank you to all of our custodial staff for cleaning and preparing the building to make it look fabulous for the return of our staff and students.
It is an honor to be the proud Principal of the Holman Elementary School. We will do whatever it takes to ensure our students’, staff members’ and communities’ health and safety during this upcoming school year. If you have any questions or if we can help ease any anxiety that you may be feeling about the return to school, please feel free to call us at (732) 833-4620. Don’t forget to check the District web page, the Holman School website, and the District calendar for more information.
I strongly encourage you to read through the Jackson School District’s presentation, 2021-2022 Back-to-School Plans and Procedures, to become familiar with the information and regulations regarding our Safe Return Plan.
SCHEDULE AND BUS PASS RELEASE DATES for 2021-2022:
- First day back for students will be on Thursday, September 9th
- Elementary Teacher Assignments will be posted on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021 at 9 a.m.
Middle School and High School Schedules will be posted on Wednesday, Aug. 25, 2021 at 9 a.m.
- Bus Passes for All Students will be posted on Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021 at 9 a.m.
NOTE: Our Elementary Schools will show only TEACHER ASSIGNMENTS, not full schedules. Teachers will go over the daily schedules with students. That information is also typically available on the teacher's class page on the school website AND will be detailed during Back to School Nights.
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR BUS PASS:
If you cannot print your bus pass at home, you can come into the Administration Building at 151 Don Connor Blvd. on the dates below and we can print one for you. We will have a tent in the lot on the left side of the Administration Building so we can safely assist our families. It would be helpful if visitors parked in the Jackson Memorial High School student lot, which is adjacent to our Admin parking lot.
- Please remember to wear a face covering.
- Please park on the side of the building (you can park at the edge of the student lot at Jackson Memorial HS as well. That lot is adjacent to our Admin Building).
- Please maintain social distance until the family before you has been assisted.
- Please remember to maintain social distancing as you wait for your turn to come into the tent.
- Please do NOT go to your child’s school to request your pass.
- Please be sure to bring photo ID with you
- Wednesday, Sept. 1, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 2, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
******VERY IMPORTANT - Daily Health Screening for Students:
- Parents will NOT be required to fill out a COVID Daily Health Screening form on the Parent Portal each day.
- Instead, we WILL be asking parents and staff to certify through ONE back-to-school form that they will monitor their child’s health daily and to keep their children (and themselves if they are staff members) home when they are ill.
Regular School Hours, Arrival, and Dismissal:
Please note that school hours are Grades K-5 - 8:45 am – 2:55 pm
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day.
There will be three choices for end of the day student dismissal. To assist us with dismissal, please fill out this Dismissal Selection form to assist your child’s teacher during the first few days of school. Students may take the bus, be picked up at the walker dismissal site, or be picked up in the car line. Parents choosing the car line dismissal must fill out paperwork and pick up their child(ren) everyday on the car line.
Parents who ignore this new procedure and try to pick up their child(ren) in the main lobby at the end of the day on a consistent basis will kindly be asked to choose an alternative dismissal option.
Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well being of our students and staff members.
- Only students in Child Care will be admitted prior to 8:35 AM
- Between 8:35 AM and 8:45 AM – Outside, at the side entrance of the school.
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY
- Staff on duty will supervise students during this time.
- Be aware of traffic pattern; please do not move ahead or cut across the line
- Please note: Side entrance closes at 8:45 AM.
- Tardy students (arriving after 8:45 AM) must enter through the main entrance with a parent/guardian and will need to be signed in by a parent/guardian with the receptionist. (NOTE: Carline entrance is locked at 8:45AM daily….please DO NOT drop your child off at the side entrance after 8:45 AM)
- Late students must be escorted by an adult and signed in via the front entrance.
- Prior to 2:30 pm; For early pick-up ONLY with a note. In addition to the note, it is best to call ahead and also let us know that you are coming to the school. (must come by 2:45 pm in the main reception area to ensure safety at dismissal)
- Parents/Guardians need to come inside and sign the child out with the receptionist. Others need a written note, the GREEN Change in Dismissal form or must be on the EMERGENCY CARD to sign the child out with the receptionist. Proper identification and a face mask is always necessary.
- P.M. Carline Students are dismissed at 2:55 pm.
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup
- Staff on duty will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time.
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only; it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or cut the line; this will ensure the safety for all of our learners.
- If you are interested in picking your child up from the P.M. CARLINE (only), please remember to complete the “Carline Dismissal Form”. If you choose the PM Carline option, students must be picked up on the carline for the entire school year.
Students walking to school will enter the school in the morning and exit at dismissal using the rear gymnasium doors in the back of the building. Duty Teachers will be posted to assist and monitor students at 8:35 am and 2:55 pm. Walkers will be dismissed from the rear gymnasium doors at the end of the day.
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE:
- Parents/Guardians MUST use the " GREEN Change in Dismissal Form" – Which are distributed the first day of school and have detailed instructions on the back of the form. NOTE: Additional forms are available in Holman's E-Backpack. REMINDER: STUDENTS "WILL NOT" be dismissed to any adult that is NOT listed on their EMERGENCY FORM.
In September, the children will eat their lunch in designated eating areas with social distance in one gathering area. Before and after each lunch period, school staff will clean surfaces so that hygiene is maintained. Students may bring a bag lunch. Snacks may also be purchased. Jackson School District Food Services Department operates a computerized point of sale system (POS) in all cafeterias. Students can purchase their snacks by debiting their account. The convenience and security of placing funds in your child’s account helps to eliminate the worry about forgotten or lost money. Deposits will begin on the first day of school.
IMPORTANT: Pursuant to new USDA Guidelines, Effective August 31, 2021, ALL Jackson School District students are now eligible for FREE breakfast and lunch. If you wish not to participate, please instruct your child(ren) not to take the meals.
What does that mean for you?
- If you want your child to bring in their own meal to eat during their scheduled lunch you may do so. If you would like your child to choose the hot/cold lunch option they simply have to ask for it during homeroom. These orders will be filled by the food services staff and bagged/container lunches will be distributed to students during their lunch period. Students do not have to swipe into their account because meals are free of charge.
- ALL students will also have the option of having breakfast each day in the APR. Students can report to the APR directly from their busses to enjoy breakfast. Again, these meals are FREE of charge for ALL students so they do not have to swipe their card.
Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms. Although all students are eligible to receive free breakfast/lunch, submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. These forms are posted on our school website and will be available to all students in their homeroom. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms and to set up a student account to purchase extra snacks or drinks from the cafeteria.
If your child has a Chromebook from last year, please be sure to check it out a few weeks before school starts to ensure it is in working order. If it is not working, please bring it to your school so a technician can work on it prior to the beginning of school. Schools are open from 8:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday.
IF YOU ARE A NEW STUDENT and do not have a district-issued Chromebook, you may stop by the main office on Wednesday, September 1 or Thursday, September 2 between the hours of 9:00am and 2:00pm to pick up your child’s device
- FYI - All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook.
Cases for Chromebooks are also available for purchase. Please click on this link to view the flyer for more information.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the "Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login page BEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please fill out a Parent/Student Technology Assistance Request Form
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620. For all other issues regarding passwords and logins, please use the request form above...please do not contact the main office.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. In fact, these videos were created by our own Kindergarten teachers at Holman.
- How to Log Into Google Classroom
- Google Classroom Login
- How to Open Assignments and Add Work in Google Classroom
- Pearson Login (Math)
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
Staying connected with Holman
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- District website, School website, teacher class pages
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
Back to School Night:
Grades 3-5: Tuesday - September 21nd at 7:00 pm
Grades K-2: Tuesday - September 28th at 7:00 pm
At the conclusion of Back to School Night, teachers will also post a welcome back video message for any parent unable to attend the live evening event to meet the teacher and to hear about the course and classroom expectations.
HOPE (Holman’s Organization of Parent and Educators)
H.O.P.E. is so excited to be back in September with some in-person events and fundraisers (we will follow all district and state guidelines for everything), however, we NEED the help of our parents!! We are looking for the help of our Holman parents to coordinate our events and fundraisers. You will be working closely with one of the Board members, but the Board just can't do it all!
If you are interested in something, please use the link below to sign up. If you want some more information for a specific fundraiser or event, feel free to email email@example.com
Please mark your calendars for our first HOPE meeting which will be held both in person and virtually at 7:00 pm on September 15th.
Topic: HOPE September General Meeting
Time: Sep 15, 2021 7:00 pm - 7:40 pm Eastern Time (US and Canada)
The meeting website, ID and Passcode will be forthcoming.
We are looking forward to a fun-filled school year!
As a reminder, school will not be in session on Thursday, September 16th.
Additional Date(s) to Remember in September:
Wednesday, September 22nd: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm will be held at JMHS Fine Arts Auditorium.
I look forward to an outstanding school year.
Principal, Holman Elementary