- Holman Elementary School
April 2020 Principal's Message
Dear Holman Families:
The nights seem longer, the flowers are beginning to bloom, the grass is growing, and the warm weather is starting to linger. These past few weeks have been unlike anything that most of us have ever experienced before. I want to thank all of the teachers, students, and parents for all of their hard work during this difficult time. I encourage you to visit the District webpage for all information regarding COVID-19, including remote lesson plans, technology tools that will help parents and students, and support. The teachers and I created a special video message to say hello to all of our Holman students. You can view it by clicking here or visiting our website.
Report cards for Trimester 2 are now available for parent viewing on the Parent Portal.
Events at school
Please note that, until further notice, all scheduled Holman extra-curricular and nighttime activities have been cancelled or rescheduled. Please see a list of some of the HOPE activities in the section below that have been either cancelled or rescheduled.
Contacting teachers and remote learning work
Please note that the best way to contact teachers is through their email. Click on this link to access a spreadsheet which includes email addresses and links to all teachers’ web pages. All teachers will be available for emails, lessons, and Google Hangouts between 8:00am - 1:00pm. Don’t forget to visit your child’s Special Area Teachers’ pages (Physical Education, Technology, Media, World Language, Music, and Art).
- Need help with access to your child’s Google account? Click here for assistance.
- For Pearson math assignments….after answering the questions, don’t forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Submit” button to get credit for the assignment.
- Students who have a different teacher for math and/or literacy should also check that teacher's classroom webpage for assigned work.
- Please continue to keep in touch with your child’s teacher(s). A brief email to let them know that you are safe and are working on the assigned lessons is greatly appreciated. They also welcome any questions and concerns that you may have. Continue to turn in all assignments on time to your child’s teacher.
- **IMPORTANT** If you receive a phone call with the caller ID of “PRIVATE CALLER”, please answer as it may be someone from the school trying to speak to you. All district personnel have been instructed to use *67 in order to maintain the confidentiality of their private numbers.
Kindergarten Registration - Postponed Until Further Notice - Use ONLINE Pre-Registration NOW
PLEASE NOTE: During the time schools are closed for COVID-19, it is VERY IMPORTANT that parents ACT NOW to use the ONLINE PRE-REGISTRATION form to get your information into our system. Click here for all information pertaining to Kindergarten registration to enroll your child in the 2020-2021 school year.
NJSLA (State Standardized Testing)
Please note that the Elementary State Standardized Testing, including the NJSLA Math, Literacy, and Science assessments have been cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year.
Important Food Service Notices During COVID-19 Closure
Please click on this link to access all information regarding food services during this time.
Classroom Placements for 2020-2021:
At this time of year, some parents write to the school regarding their child’s class placement for next year. Class placement is a complex process that involves the input of many educational professionals and considers many factors. The ultimate goal of the placement process is to find the best possible match between what is best for the student and what are the strengths of each teacher. I realize and appreciate your concern, but I will not honor parent requests for particular teachers. I do, however, value your input and individual concerns for your child. As in the past, I will accept one non-request. I will consider any concern or input that you have to offer, if you provide your concern via email to me before May 1st. Please note that I do not keep concerns from years past. Concerns written after May 1st may not be taken into consideration. This will allow the educational professionals sufficient time to find the most appropriate match for your child. As always, I appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.
H.O.P.E. wanted to send an update and information about their upcoming events that have been affected by the current school closures. Please note, for the events marked as “Postponed”, H.O.P.E. will attempt to reschedule these events when and if school returns for the 2019-2020 school year. We are saddened to cancel any event on our calendar, however, some of our events are time consuming in planning and there just won’t be enough time to schedule accordingly.
- March Madness: will hopefully be rescheduled
- Cupcake Wars: cancelled
- Candy Bingo: will hopefully be rescheduled
- Movie Night: cancelled
- Plant Sale: postponed
- Spring Dance: cancelled
- Scholastic Book Fair: to be determined
- Old Monmouth Candy Pickups: In an effort to maintain social distancing, Old Monmouth Candy will be distributed via porch pickups in 15-minute time slots. Please click the following link to sign up for a time slot to pick up your order. Please make sure to come during your time slot since your order will be left outside and the weather will begin to be getting warmer. Also, please make sure when signing up for a time slot to include your child’s name and teacher and if you are also picking up any neighbors, friends, or relatives orders. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0f4ea5aa2ba2fc1-oldmonmouth
- H.O.P.E. Executive Board Nominations: Nominations are now open for the 2020-2021 Executive Board. Please see details and qualifications regarding each position below. Nominations can be emailed to our nominating chairperson, Alicia Oexmann, at Aoexmann@gmail.com All nominations are due by our next scheduled HOPE meeting (which is cancelled due to school closure) on April 29 and elections will be held at our May or June HOPE meeting (depending on school return). Any active HOPE member (those that have paid their HOPE membership) is invited to put forth their nominations and vote (must be present at May or June meeting to vote).
President: To be nominated for President, one MUST have held or must currently hold an Executive Board Position. The President will preside at all meetings and coordinate the work of the officers and committees.
Vice-President: To be nominated for Vice-President, one MUST have volunteered for 3 H.O.P.E. sponsored events OR chaired a committee/school fundraiser. The Vice-President acts as an aide to the President and will also organize grade-level trips and oversee fundraising.
Recording Secretary: To be nominated for Recording Secretary, one MUST have volunteered for 3 H.O.P.E. sponsored events OR chaired a committee/school fundraiser. The Recording Secretary records the minutes of all the meetings and maintains the family membership list.
Corresponding Secretary: To be nominated for Corresponding Secretary, one MUST have volunteered for 3 H.O.P.E. sponsored events OR chaired a committee/school fundraiser. The Corresponding Secretary is responsible for all correspondence (written, social media and verbal) of HOPE including Facebook updates, BAND text alerts, monthly newsletters, flyers and the HOPE webpage.
Treasurer: To be nominated for Treasurer, one MUST have volunteered for 3 H.O.P.E. sponsored events OR chaired a committee/school fundraiser. The Treasurer is responsible for the funds of our organization including record-keeping and payments.
* As noted in the bylaws, some provisions may be waived if agreed upon by the current board with a majority vote. Therefore, due to the cancellation of H.O.P.E. meetings and school closure, the Executive Board is waiving the requirement to have attended 3 general H.O.P.E. meetings. In addition, due to the cancellation of events, if a coordinator was in place and their event was cancelled, they would still be considered as a chair for that event.
**Please note that the current Executive Board is not involved in the nominations or the elections. The nominating chairperson will create the ballot for elections and all voting will be anonymous during the May or June meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Break will begin on Thursday, April 9th and continue until Sunday, April 19th. Remote Learning will continue on Monday, April 20th. Please check your child’s teacher’s webpage for details regarding all school work..
Stay healthy and stay safe.
Principal, Holman Elementary