- Holman Elementary School
April Principal's Message 2022
Dear Holman Families:
The nights seem longer, the flowers are beginning to bloom, the grass is growing, and the warm weather is lingering (somewhat). The end of the school year is, as usual, looking very busy. As the weather gets warmer, students become more anxious for the start of summer break. With that said, it is also important that students continue to work hard on their academics and continue to behave appropriately in school. Please stress with your children the importance of keeping their hands and feet to themselves and respecting other people’s personal space.
Thank you very much for all of your participation with our One School, One Book initiative. I was happy to receive positive emails and see that so many families enjoyed reading Adventure According to Humphrey together. Please continue to encourage your children to read each evening and complete his/her homework assignments to reinforce the instruction of lessons learned in school.
A Note from our School Nurse
In order to minimize risk to others, we encourage parents to keep your children home if they exhibit any flu symptoms which include fever, body aches, chills, headache, coughing or vomiting. We advise that you keep your children home from school until they are fever-free for a full 24 hours without the use of any fever-reducing medications (such as Tylenol or Advil). While in school, we will be reminding everyone about the importance of preventative actions, such as frequent handwashing and covering their mouths when they cough or sneeze.
Report cards for Trimester 2 will be available for parent viewing in the afternoon of March 29th in the Parent Portal.
Kindergarten Registration in the Jackson School District will take place by appointment. Registration packets are available online and in all elementary schools. We encourage all parents (this INCLUDES students already enrolled in the pre-K program) to pre-register online to save time and streamline the registration process at the time of your appointment. It is incredibly important that parents register during this period so we can plan ahead for the next school year. If you are a parent of a kindergarten student (regardless if they are already in the pre-K program), we kindly ask that you make every effort to register your child during the month of March. All information is available on the Registration Page on the district website.
Please call (732) 833-4620 and speak to Mrs. Lynn Goldblatt to schedule an appointment during March to register your child for Kindergarten.
NJSLA (State Standardized Testing)
Continue to visit the district website to view the NJSLA testing calendar (go to the For Parents and Students tab and then Assessments and Grading).
REMINDER: NJSLA Testing begins in May. NJASK Science will be administered in May. We encourage you to visit the district’s “Understanding Assessments and Grading’’ resource page, which has a host of information about the PARCC and other assessments – including:
As I’m sure you are aware, a child will perform more successfully on a test if he/she has proper rest, good nutrition, and arrives at school on time. Your special attention to these areas will help ensure your child has his or her best chance for success!
Classroom Placements for 2022-2023
At this time of year, some parents write to the school regarding their child’s class placement for next year. Class placement is a complex process that involves the input of many educational professionals and considers many factors. The ultimate goal of the placement process is to find the best possible match between what is best for the student and what are the strengths of each teacher. I realize and appreciate your concern, but I will not honor parent requests for particular teachers. I do, however, value your input and individual concerns for your child. As in the past, I will accept one non-request. I will consider any concern or input that you have to offer, if you provide your concern via email to me before April 29th. Please note that I do not keep concerns from years past. Concerns written after April 29th may not be taken into consideration. This will allow the educational professionals sufficient time to find the most appropriate match for your child. As always, I appreciate your understanding and support in this matter.
Don’t forget to wear your Holman Spirit Wear or red and black on Friday, April 8th.
HOPE Upcoming Events
- Old Monmouth Candy Pickups: Old Monmouth Candy small orders will be sent home the week of April 4th. Larger orders can be picked up April 6th at the school between 5:00 PM -7:00 PM.
- Yearbooks Sales: Yearbook Sales are now open! Yearbooks will be sold ONLINE ONLY this year. Make sure to order before the deadline (4/15) there will be no extra yearbooks available. To order visit https://www.memorybook.com/online-pay/parent-pay Use your school code 980229. Yearbooks are $28.00 each. You can send a personalized “Love Line” at the back of the Yearbook for an additional $3.00.
- Spirit Wear Sales: Spirit Wear Sales begin online April 11th - 28th.
- Dine to Donate: Bagel Run Dine Donate 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM.
- 5th Grade Graduation Lawn Signs: All flyers went home with 5th grade students. Order deadline is April 28, 2022. NO LATE ORDERS ACCEPTED.
- Art Show / March Madness: Will be held on May 3rd. The Art Show will begin at 5:15 PM - 6:15 PM. March Madness will begin directly after the Art Show at 6:30 PM.
- ATTENTION 5th Graders!!! If you have a 5th grade student that would like to play in HOPE’s March Madness be sure to fill out and return the permission slip no later than April 6th for a chance to play on the Holman team.
- H.O.P.E.’s next virtual/In person meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 13th at 7:00pm. Link to Follow
Looking and Planning Ahead
On Wednesday, April 27th, the Board of Education Meeting will be held at 6:30PM at the Fine Arts Building at JMHS.
Please note that Thursday, April 14th is a shortened day. Students will be dismissed at 1:15 PM.
Spring Break will begin on Friday, April 15th and will end on Friday, April 22nd. All students return on Monday, April 25th.
Enjoy the break. Stay safe and healthy.
Principal, Holman Elementary