During the year, students will learn and practice Study Skills, Reading Comprehension, and Writing Strategies based on The New Jersey Student Learning Standards. We will be reading Fiction, Non-Fiction, Poetry, Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Drama. Additionally, students will be exposed to a variety of writing/speaking tasks, such as: Research Simulation, Literary Analysis (multiple genres), Narrative (text based and personal), Creative Writing, and an Expository Speech. Students will be integrating source material in various types of writing following the MLA formatting standards and the mechanics of writing.
Independent book projects will be assigned per marking period. Students will be provided with instructions and given ample time to complete the assigned task.
Extra help is offered weekly for review, academic assistance, and organizational needs.
I look forward to working with your children and watching them grow as readers and writers. If you have any questions or concerns, I can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can simply leave a message with the main office, guidance, or CST at 732-833-4610. Working together we can certainly make a difference :).
Samantha Vigliarolo, M.A.Ed.
Read 180 Universal Program
READ 180 Universal HMH- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an intervention reading program designed to bridge the gap with a blended learning approach. The beauty of this program is geared towards customizing and differentiating instruction to meet learning needs of struggling readers. Key strategies are implemented to build and strengthen reading comprehension, academic vocabulary, and writing skills.
Blended Learning Consists Of:
- Whole-Group Learning ~ Use of an interactive text that includes sequenced texts, academic vocabulary, and writing tasks that allow students to plan, organize, and write.
- Student Application ~ Provides targeted learning in the following areas: direct instruction, practice, spelling, writing, academic vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Small-Group Learning ~ Data-driven instruction, guidance, and support.
- Independent Reading ~ Leveled reading and language support.
Balancing skills, implementing strategies,
and having a positive mindset
are essential ingredients for a successful reader.
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to Read 180. I look forward to setting up a positive, fun, and exciting learning environment with you.
To get started, I have put together a suggested list of supplies that will help assist you with learning and organization.
- Choose 1 literacy organizer that fits your organizational needs: 1.5 inch binder with dividers and filler paper, 3-subject notebook with folders, or an accordion file folder with filler paper.
Index cards (used for academic vocabulary and study words)
Index card organizer
- Blue/ black pen
- A colored pen of your choice (red, purple, green, teal etc...)
- 2 pocket Folder
We will begin Summer Reading conferencing the week of 9/9/19.
Degrees and Certifications:
I began my journey at Goetz in 1999 as a Special Education Teacher, and I am proud to be a member of the Literacy Department. Recently, I received my Masters in Education and Reading Specialist Certification from Georgian Court University. As a teacher, I thoroughly enjoy bringing out the best qualities in my students and providing them with a positive learning environment filled with learning tools and resources. A positive learning environment encourages and builds a love for learning.