Degrees and Certifications:
Goetz is a great middle school! This is my 20th year teaching sixth grade in the Literacy Dept. I enjoy helping students improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. I hope that I can make this an enjoyable year of learning for my students! Parents, if you ever need to contact me, you can jot a note in the Planner, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Welcome to Sixth Grade Literacy Class!Sixth Grade Stdents Will:
- read works that focus on text complexity and its academic language
- extract and employ evidence from text, literary and informational text
- build knowledge through content rich non-fiction
- focus on the 6+1 Traits of Writing
- write essays by responding to text, including comparison and synthesis of ideas
- be introduced to and use Notice & Note Fiction and Non-Fiction as a close reading strategy
- use PVLEGS techniques for speaking in front of a class
- homework 20%
- participation 30% (includes oral and written participation)
- assessment 50% (includes tests, quizzes, book reports, and some writing assignments)
After School Help:Mon.-Thurs. until 3:00 (excluding days for faculty meetings and dept. meetings)
First Day of School
On Tuesday, Sept.8th, I will be meeting with Group 2 in-person while Group 1 will be working remotely. Group 1 will need to check their Literacy Google Classroom to obtain the assignment for the day. Group 1 will also need to go to the Google Meet Classroom at 1:25 to meet with me online. Every student (Groups 1 & 2) needs to check their school email to join their literacy classrooms. This includes the Literacy Google Classroom and the Google Meet Classroom. In addition, anyone who is in my homeroom (208) needs to join the Advisory Classroom. I look forward to meeting everyone!!!
Welcome, sixth graders, to a very different school year! Not only are you new to our middle school, but you are starting out the school year with a combination of coming to the school and working from home. While this might seem overwhelming at first for everyone, I am sure that in the weeks to come, we will all feel more at ease as we get to know one another. Looking foward to meeting everyone!
Sixth Grade Literacy Supplies 2020-2021
- Black or dark blue pens - erasable or ball point (no marker or gel pens, please)
- Red pens- any type
- 1 thin black Sharpe-type marker
- small box of colored pencils
- 1 highlighter
- 1 three subject notebook
- 1 soft pencil case (If you already have a hard one, that is okay.)
- 1 box of tissues (optional, but greatly appreciated)
- I will provide you with 1 folder
- NO binders are needed for this class.