Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Cynthia Tenaglia
Goetz is a great middle school! This is my 18th year teaching sixth grade in the Literacy Dept. I enjoy helping students improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. I hope that I can make this an enjoyable year of learning for my students! Parents, if you ever need to contact me, you can jot a note in the Planner, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Welcome to Sixth Grade Literacy Class!Sixth Grade Stdents Will:
- read works that focus on text complexity and its academic language
- extract and employ evidence from text, literary and informational text
- build knowledge through content rich non-fiction
- focus on the 6+1 Traits of Writing
- write essays by responding to text, including comparison and synthesis of ideas
- be introduced to and use Notice & Note Fiction and Non-Fiction as a close reading strategy
- use PVLEGS techniques for speaking in front of a class
- homework 20%
- participation 30% (includes oral and written participation)
- assessment 50% (includes tests, quizzes, book reports, and some writing assignments)
After School Help:Mon.-Thurs. until 3:00 (excluding days for faculty meetings and dept. meetings)
Students will be learning about Notice & Note Fiction Signposts to help deepen reading understanding. Each student will be reading a fiction book of his/her own choosing, but it must be approved by me, for an upcoming book report. In addition, they will be learning how to write a literary analysis. Lastly, students will continue to delve into the Wordly Wise book to increase their vocabulary usage and understanding.
Sixth Grade Literacy Supplies
- Black or dark blue pens - erasable or ball point (no marker pens, please)
- Red pens
- 1 thin black Sharpe-type marker
- small box of colored pencils
- 1 highlighter
- 3 composition notebooks (w/sewn bindings; no tear-out type notebooks, please)
- 1 soft pencil case (If you already have a hard one, that is okay.)
- Sticky notes
- 1 box of tissues (optional, but greatly appreciated)
- I will provide you with 2 folders. One will be used for going back and forth between home and school. The other one will stay in the classroom. You will get them on the first day of school.
Remember: Summer Reading Journal & Questions are due the first day of school. Each counts as a homework grade. Late assignments receive a lowered grade. Review your book and notes as I will conference with each one of you regarding your book within the first two weeks of school. Your response to these questions will count as a participation grade.