Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Cynthia Tenaglia
Goetz is a great middle school! This is my 19th year teaching sixth grade in the Literacy Dept. I enjoy helping students improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. I hope that I can make this an enjoyable year of learning for my students! Parents, if you ever need to contact me, you can jot a note in the Planner, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Welcome to Sixth Grade Literacy Class!Sixth Grade Stdents Will:
- read works that focus on text complexity and its academic language
- extract and employ evidence from text, literary and informational text
- build knowledge through content rich non-fiction
- focus on the 6+1 Traits of Writing
- write essays by responding to text, including comparison and synthesis of ideas
- be introduced to and use Notice & Note Fiction and Non-Fiction as a close reading strategy
- use PVLEGS techniques for speaking in front of a class
- homework 20%
- participation 30% (includes oral and written participation)
- assessment 50% (includes tests, quizzes, book reports, and some writing assignments)
After School Help:Mon.-Thurs. until 3:00 (excluding days for faculty meetings and dept. meetings)
Welcome to sixth grade literacy! Please bring your Summer Reading Log and Journal responses on the first day of school. You will lose points if it is late. Review your book as well because you will have a personal interview with me about the book within the first two weeks of school. See you soon!
During the first marking period the students will be reading informational text. We will dig into close reading skills by learning about Notice & Note Nonfiction and how to apply the skills while reading. In addition, the students will learn how to complete a research simulation essay (RST) along with learning about how to write well constructed sentences. Once students have selected a nonfiction book from the library (which must be approved by me) they will complete a weekly reading log and be expected to complete a book report. On the day of the Book Fair (9/23) the students will have the opportunity to not only buy books, but they can select a book from the library. They can also get a book from another library if desired, or from my classroom collection if one is available.
Sixth Grade Literacy Supplies 2019-2020
- Black or dark blue pens - erasable or ball point (no marker or gel pens, please)
- Red pens- any type
- 1 thin black Sharpe-type marker
- small box of colored pencils
- 1 highlighter
- 3 composition notebooks - 80+ pages (w/sewn bindings; no tear-out type notebooks, please)
- 1 soft pencil case (If you already have a hard one, that is okay.)
- Sticky notes
- 1 box of tissues (optional, but greatly appreciated)
- I will provide you with 2 folders. One will be used for going back and forth between home and school. The other one will stay in the classroom. You will get them on the first day of school.
- NO binders are needed for this class.