Degrees and Certifications:
Goetz is a great middle school! This is my 19th year teaching sixth grade in the Literacy Dept. I enjoy helping students improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. I hope that I can make this an enjoyable year of learning for my students! Parents, if you ever need to contact me, you can jot a note in the Planner, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Please see announcement below for links to Google Classroom for Literacy Remote Learning.
Welcome to Sixth Grade Literacy Class!Sixth Grade Stdents Will:
- read works that focus on text complexity and its academic language
- extract and employ evidence from text, literary and informational text
- build knowledge through content rich non-fiction
- focus on the 6+1 Traits of Writing
- write essays by responding to text, including comparison and synthesis of ideas
- be introduced to and use Notice & Note Fiction and Non-Fiction as a close reading strategy
- use PVLEGS techniques for speaking in front of a class
- homework 20%
- participation 30% (includes oral and written participation)
- assessment 50% (includes tests, quizzes, book reports, and some writing assignments)
After School Help:Mon.-Thurs. until 3:00 (excluding days for faculty meetings and dept. meetings)
Day 43: Friday May 22, 2020
1. Complete the new Daily Check-in Question. 2. Please check Portal/Genesis for any missing work. If any work is not completed, including your slides, please finish it today.
Day 42: Thurs. May 21, 2020
1. Complete the new Daily Check-in Question. 2. Finish working on the Research Speech Slides- due TODAY.
Day 41: Wed. May 20, 2020
1. Complete the new Daily Check-in Question. 2. Continue working on the Research Speech Slides- due tomorrow. 3. TODAY is our Google Meet. Go to Google Classroom to join. Pd. 1-2 at 8:45/ Pd.4-5 at 10:30/Pd.7-8 12:00 The Meet link is in your Google Classroom.
Day 40 Tues. May 19, 2020
1. Complete the new Daily Check-in Question. 2. Continue working on the Research Speech Slides. The Slides are due Thursday 5/21/20. 3. Tomorrow is our Google Meet. Pd. 1-2 at 8:45/ Pd.4-5 at 10:30/ Pd.7-8 12:00 The Meet link is in your Google Classroom.
Day 39: Mon. May 18, 2020
1. Complete the new Daily Check-in Question. 2. Continue working on the Research Speech Slides. The Slides are due Thursday 5/21/20.
Day 38: Fri. May 15, 2020
1. Watch the video I made for you about the speech and upcoming assignments. 2. Catch up on any work you still owe. Check Genesis. Send me an email when you have completed the missing work.
Day 37: Thurs. May 14, 2020
1. Go back to Day 36 Flip Grid Assignment. Complete the video if you have not already done so. Flip Grid is due today by 9 pm. 2. Open the Day 36 Biography Research Notebook and continue working on Slides 1-5. Slides are due by Friday Morning.
DAY 36: Wed. May 13, 2020
1. Read information sheet on Speech Research Part Two. 2. Complete Speech Research Notebook slides 1-5 by Friday morning. 3. View the Grading Rubric. 4. Flip Grid assignment- saying hello and asking questions- due Thursday.
Day 35: Tues. May 12, 2020
1. View the Brainpop video on Paraphrasing and take the Quiz. 2. Complete the attached worksheet in Google Classroom.
Day 34: Mon. May 11, 2020
1. View the Brainpop video on Plagiarism and take the Quiz. 2. Complete the attached worksheet in Google Classroom. 3. Speech Research Slide (assigned on Wed.) for your selected person is due today for approval if you did not submit it already.
Day 33: Fri. May 8, 2020
1. Correct your Pronoun Worksheet D with the answer key given in Google Classroom. 2. Take the Pronoun Test in Google Forms. 3. Remember: Speech Research Slide on your person is due by Monday for approval.
Day 32: Thurs. May 7, 2020
1. Watch my Pronoun Video. 2. Complete Pronoun Review Worksheet E. 3. Study the Pronoun Chart from Day 30 for your TEST tomorrow. 4. If you did not already select a person for your SPEECH, please work on it and submit for approval by Monday. 5. EXTRA CREDIT TIME CAPSULE: Due date extended to Wed. May 13. You have to print it out.
Day 31: Wed. May 6, 2020
1. Read the information carefully about the Research on a Speech. 2. Use the link on the Research page to find out information about a person you would like to give a speech on. 3. Fill in the Research Speech Notebook Slide and turn it in as soon as possible, but no later than May 11, 2020.
Day 30: Tues. May 5, 2020
1. Review Pronoun Chart and example attachment in Google Classroom. 2. Grammar Tutorial & Pronoun Practice in noredink.com (Just go to noredink.com and log on with your Google Account.) 3. Pronoun TEST on Friday.
Day 29: Monday May 4, 2020
Flip Grid: Create a video on Flip Grid where you say hello, recite the personal pronouns, and tell about something you did over the weekend.
Day 28: Friday May 1, 2020
1. Check your review worksheets with the attached answer keys. 2. Complete the Google Form Vocabulary Test. Proofread the test before submitting.
Day 27: Thurs.4/30/20
1. Watch a video I made for you. 2. Complete the Board Review Worksheet to help prepare for tomorrow's Vocab.L-6 Test. 3. Study your Vocab. List 6 for tomorrrow's test.
Day 26: Wed. 4/29/20
1. Read short story called "The Story of Silk." 2. Complete Wordly Wise Lesson 6 Review Worksheet. (None of the 15 words will be repeated.) 3. STUDY for your Vocab.Test on Friday.
Day 25: Tues. 4/28/20
1. Study Wordly Wise List 6 Vocabulary. You will have a Test on this Vocabulary on Friday, May 1, 2020. 2. Complete Worksheet 6C Vocabulary; questions may have more than one answer. 3. Complete Subject & Object Pronouns Worksheet B. Be sure to look over the notes at the top of the page.
Day 24: Monday 4/27/20
1.Watch Brainpop on Pronouns called "I vs. Me" and take the Quiz at the end. 2. Complete Worksheet A on subject and object pronouns.
Day 23: Friday 4/24/20
1. Read the Comment Announcement for today to read and study a Grammar Book page on pronouns and antecedents. 2. Watch BrainPOP on personal pronouns and take the quiz at the end. 3. Complete the Google Form titled "Pronouns and Antecedents Practice WS."
Day 22: Thursday 4/23/20
1. Watch YouTube tutorial on pronouns. 2. Complete Prounoun Worksheet in Google Classroom. 3. Extra Credit is also offered today. You will have two weeks to complete a Time Capsule for extra credit.
Day 21: Wednesday 4/22/20
1. Using the List 6 Vocabulary, complete Worksheets 6A & 6B in Google Classroom. 2. View Vocabulary video.
Day 20: Tuesday 4/21/20
1. Define new vocabulary for # 11-15 and write a sentence for each. Go back to Day 18 and unsubmit the assignment and continue working on the same worksheet. 2. Finish the compare & contrast essay from yesterday. (4 paragraphs) This essay will be counted in the assessment section of portal. Be sure to turn in both of these assignments today. 3. Remember, today is the last day to turn in any missing assignments for the 3rd marking period.
Day 19: Mon. 4/20/20
1. Define new vocabulary for # 6-10 and write a sentence for each. Go back to Day 18 and unsubmit the assignment and continue working on the same worksheet. 2. Write a compare and contrast essay. Compare this spring break to your previous spring breaks. (4 paragraphs) Use the document found in Day 19 in Google Classroom. You have today and tomorrow to complete the essay. This essay will be counted in the assessment section of portal.
Day 18: Wed. 4/8/20on
1. Define new vocabulary and write a sentence for each. Vocabulary List 6 and Worksheet are in Google Classroom.
Any missing work from remote learning needs to be turned in to your teacher by Tuesday, April 21st (right after Spring Break). Any work that is turned in will be giving 'passing' credit. Any work not turned in or still missing will have a negative impact on your 3rd marking period grade. If any student is dealing with a difficult time that has impacted their work being done, you need to reach out directly to your teacher.
Day 17: Tuesday 4/7/20
1. Watch Brainpop on Main Idea and take Quiz. 2. Complete Worksheet on Main Idea in Google Classroom.
Day 16: Monday 4/6/20
1. Watch Youtube video on Character Traits. 2. Complete Worksheet A on Character Traits. 3. Create a Google Slide on a character from your book.
Day15: Fri. 4/3/20
1. Read for 20 minutes and write a summary of it on the worksheet in Google Classroom. 2. Finish Narrative from yesterday if not done. 3. Finish Google Slide if not done. 4. Complete Student Check-in Survey in Google Classroom.
Day 14: Thurs. 4/2/20
1. View the video I made on Dialogue in Google Classroom. 2. Complete the Narrative Writing in Linkit. (Code is in the instructions in Google Classroom.)
Day 13: Wed. 4/1/20
1. Read carefully and study the first two attachments with Dialogue information in Google Classroom. 2. Then complete the third attachment which is a Worksheet on Dialogue. Read the examples carefully before completing it.
Day 12: Tues. 3/31/20
1. Watch Brainpop on "Point of View" and take Quiz. (Directions and password in Google Classroom.) 2. Complete the Worksheet on point of view in Google Classroom. (Don't forget about the Google slide due Friday.)
Day 11: Mon. 3/30/20
1. Watch Brainpop on "Dialogue" and take Quiz. (Directions and password in Google Classroom.) 2. Complete Worksheet on dialogue in Google Classroom. 3. Finish LINKIT on Narrative if you did not finish Friday's Writing Questions. 4. Complete a Google Slide between now and Friday. See Google Classroom for details.
Remote Learning Links to Google Classroom
All assignments are posted daily in Google Classroom in which your child already has access. If you have any questions, you can email me at: email@example.com
I hope you and your family are healthy and safe.
Sixth Grade Literacy Supplies 2019-2020
- Black or dark blue pens - erasable or ball point (no marker or gel pens, please)
- Red pens- any type
- 1 thin black Sharpe-type marker
- small box of colored pencils
- 1 highlighter
- 3 composition notebooks - 80+ pages (w/sewn bindings; no tear-out type notebooks, please)
- 1 soft pencil case (If you already have a hard one, that is okay.)
- Sticky notes
- 1 box of tissues (optional, but greatly appreciated)
- I will provide you with 2 folders. One will be used for going back and forth between home and school. The other one will stay in the classroom. You will get them on the first day of school.
- NO binders are needed for this class.