Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Cynthia Tenaglia
Goetz is a great middle school! This is my 18th year teaching sixth grade in the Literacy Dept. I enjoy helping students improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills. I hope that I can make this an enjoyable year of learning for my students! Parents, if you ever need to contact me, you can jot a note in the Planner, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Welcome to Sixth Grade Literacy Class!Sixth Grade Stdents Will:
- read works that focus on text complexity and its academic language
- extract and employ evidence from text, literary and informational text
- build knowledge through content rich non-fiction
- focus on the 6+1 Traits of Writing
- write essays by responding to text, including comparison and synthesis of ideas
- be introduced to and use Notice & Note Fiction and Non-Fiction as a close reading strategy
- use PVLEGS techniques for speaking in front of a class
- homework 20%
- participation 30% (includes oral and written participation)
- assessment 50% (includes tests, quizzes, book reports, and some writing assignments)
After School Help:Mon.-Thurs. until 3:00 (excluding days for faculty meetings and dept. meetings)
Please note: I changed the Speech due date to Monday, June 10th.
Friday 5/24/19 is a half day and the sixth graders will be participating in our annual Field Day. Be sure to send water and a snack or lunch. Phones are not advised as students will be outside all day. Be sure your child has sunscreen on.
Students will be reading a novel and learning about poetry. Students will also continue to delve into the Wordly Wise book to increase their vocabulary usage and understanding. A major grade for this marking period will be the Speech- both written and oral. Refer to the packet of directions sent home. A few parents have yet to sign the notification paper. Please check with your child if you have not seen it. Thank you. FYI: Speech info is also posted in Google Classroom.