Book Fair Dates
Levine HR Feb. 26th @ 9:50am
Casais HR Feb. 27th @ 9:50am
Bubbakoo's Burritos Read it To Eat it PROJECT!!!!
Read 5 books this month (FEBRUARY) to earn a free meal!!
See your Literacy teacher each time you complete a book!
LET ‘S WORK TOGETHER:
Student Safety is always paramount at Switlik School. We are asking for help in allowing our staff to focus on our shared goal of keeping our children safe and focused on learning. We appreciate your continued support and collaboration with us in ensuring that all students are safe.
ENTRANCE PROCEDURES: Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school. We ask that you wait 20 minutes after student arrival to approach the building to be signed in for your visit. (Exceptions are made for scheduled appointments approved by your child’s principal/teacher/counselor.
- All visitors will notify the receptionist using the buzzer by the visitor doors.
- At the buzzer, all visitors are required to present their valid photo identification to the camera, state the purpose of their visit and/or specify with whom they have the appointment or which student they are picking up.
- At the second set of doors, buzz again for access to reception.
- This includes drop off and pick up for morning and aftercare
Please do not hold the door open for others behind you. We realize this feels awkward and against the rules of good manners, but it’s important that each visitor be acknowledged individually through the buzzer system.
- If the appointment and/or purpose is verified, the visitor will be buzzed in and must present themselves to the receptionists immediately upon entry.
- The visitor’s ID will be held until the visitor leaves the building and the visitor will receive a guest badge. This procedure helps us to know that the visitor has departed by ensuring they leave the same way they arrived.
- Please limit “dropped off” items to only those items your child truly needs during the school day (e.g. necessary clothing changes, important schoolwork or lunch/items that are required for that day). Using the buzzer by the visiting door, inform the receptionists these items are on the cart outside the visitor door.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES: Please be advised at no time should any vehicle be entering or exiting through our bus ramp during arrival or dismissal times. Please review and adhere to the following:
Arrival Time: 8:50-9:05 a.m. We will not have staff on duty before this time.
- No child should be left off at the school without a staff member in attendance.
- Morning arrival for children is located at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance).
- Parents who choose the “Kiss and Drop” loop should adhere to the following safety procedures:
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
- Pull up to the gym vestibule entrance doors to drop off your child.
- Parents are to remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Students must exit from the passenger side door.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building during drop off arrival time.
- Do not pass other vehicles while children are exiting from vehicle, this can create a dangerous situation.
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
After 9:05 a.m., the start of the school day, parents dropping off their children must park in the main parking lot and escort them inside to the main office receptionist desk in order to sign them in. At this time, children are considered late. Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school.
No child is to be dropped off at the main entrance without a parent/ guardian signing them in.
Parent Pick Up:
- Doors at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance) for parent pick up will open at 3:05 p.m.
- Present your valid photo identification to the receptionists prior to signing your child out.
- Follow instructions of receptionists as to where to stand while waiting for your child to arrive.
- Please do not park in the bus lane during this time.
- Parents wishing to pick their students up from childcare may begin to do so at 3:15 p.m. We ask that parents wait until dismissal is complete before signing out childcare students.
EARLY DISMISSAL: will conclude at 2:45 p.m. Any parent who wishes to sign out their child after 2:45 p.m. will wait until dismissal at 3:10 p.m. Please refer to the Switlik School Handbook.
If you will be picking your child up early, we prefer you notify the school as early in advance as you can, but at least by the morning of pick up. This can be done through a note sent in with the child, or an email to the teacher and principal. In the event of a true emergency, please contact the school reception desk by phone (732) 833-4650 extension 4135, prior to arrival if possible. We realize there are often instances where early pick-up is necessary (medical or other appointments), but we respectfully ask that you limit early sign-outs to only times when they are necessary.
** If you have a nut allergy you must bring in a note from a parent on the first day of school stating you do not have to sit at the nut free lunch table.**
I believe that the class benefits from a mid-morning snack to help the students maintain their focus during lessons. Since we will be working through snack, I ask that you limit the snack to one healthy food item per day. (Some examples: one piece of fruit, carrot sticks, pretzels, crackers, yogurt, etc. (if snack requires a utensil please be sure to send one in with your child). Thank you for your cooperation!
Please be sure to check their webpage as well for different school events and yearbook information.
Please be sure to continue reading and logging every night. Talk with someone about what you read and be sure to stop and jot frequently!
Please check the schedule below for our lunch and specials for the week. Always refer to my class page, the planner, and Remind App for important notices and upcoming events.
Our Weekly Schedule : TBA
Lunch - 12:15
Monday - Music
Tuesday - Computers
Wednesday - Art (BRING IN AN OLD SHIRT FOR A SMOCK PLEASE!)
Thursday - Gym (WEAR YOUR SNEAKERS)
Friday - World LanguagePLEASE COME TO CLASS PREPARED WITH A PENCIL, ERASER, READING MATERIALS, AND READING LOG! COMING PREPARED IS HALF THE BATTLE.It is highly recommended that ALL STUDENTS read nightly! In order to show growth and continued progress students must be practicing at home. C'mon, don't you want that GOLDEN BOOK AWARD?"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." -Helen Keller"Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners." -Laurence SterneKeep saving your box tops! Box tops=$$$ for our school
Welcome to 5th Grade!
Please come to class within the first week prepared with a pencil and eraser. Some suggested materials are as follows: 2 composition marble notebooks (1 should be a hard cardboard cover as we will decorate it for Writer's workshop and Mod Podge), two 2 pocket folders (1 to bring home important papers, homework dittos, graded assignments, and any information necessary to be sent home) and (1 for your reading log and reader's workshop handouts), a zippered soft pencil case (that will fit in the desk), highlighters, pens, post-its, a 1 gallon ziplock bag, and 2 books on-level. If you're unable to gather these materials please let me know and I will be happy to assist.**** Parent/Guardians please check their folder and planner every night and send it back with them for the next day. The students are required to write their homework in their planner everyday. I will not be checking the planners daily unless your child has a note written in it, in which they should show me first thing in the morning. This will help to foster independence for middle school.
**Your child's planner or contact via email (email@example.com) can also be used as a way to reach me and make sure we are doing our very best to work as a team to help your child reach their fullest potential. However, please be respectful in allowing me ample time to respond. Instructional time does not allow for response to emails. This is also important with regard to dismissal, if there is a change to your child's dismissal plan please be sure to call the main office (732-833-4650) as my prep time changes daily, I could be absent, or I may not get to see the email until the end of the day.**
Homework: Please show your child that homework is extremely important. Make it a priority; provide necessary supplies and a quiet work environment. It is a valuable aid in helping students to reinforce what is learned in the classroom and make the most of their learning experience. Set aside a daily homework time and provide praise and support. If I can offer any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Classroom supplies are always appreciated, such as tissues, baby wipes, sanitizing wipes, hand sanitizer, and pencils/erasers.
Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to collaborating with you to make 5th grade a wonderful experience for your child.
**REMINDER FOR READING LOGS**
YOU MUST BE SURE TO HAVE YOUR READING LOG IN SCHOOL EVERYDAY!
I WILL BE CHECKING READING LOGS! In my experience you should be reading 20 steps or more per week to show optimal growth this year! If you choose not to read over the weekend, then you should be sure to complete your reading during the week. So be sure to log all the steps you read to receive proper credit for all your hard work!
BE A BUCKET FILLER, NOT A BUCKET DIPPER!!!! Have you been a bucket filler today? You can be a bucket filler in many different ways... By trying your best in school, giving respect to all your peers and adults, helping someone in need, and treating others the way you want to be treated.
THE KEY WORD AND ACT IS RESPECT!! RESPECT FOR OTHERS AND RESPECT FOR YOURSELF!