Welcome to the next phase of Remote Learning!
I ask that you reach out to me by email (email@example.com) or REMIND text with any questions or issues that you may have with your daily assignments.
Before you start your work, check out the Switlik Staff Slide Show!
Can you guess which picture is mine???
(FYI: The Pearson Math site is currently down. I will let you know when it is back up again!)
I am going to provide a "checklist" of what should be completed each day to help you stay organized:
- Daily Common Core Review. (Can be found linked on lesson plans. Print and write in answers or write answers in a notebook. If you use a notebook, make sure you label it the way we do in class. Complete assigned questions ONLY)
- Watch video for the day's lesson (There is a second video if you need more help)
- Student Practice page (See plans for pages and assigned questions. Can be done in your math book or print and write your answers in or write answers in a notebook. If you use a notebook, make sure you label it)
- Quick Check (Everyone must go online to Pearson to complete this)
Reading: (Not for Ms. Hoermann and Ms. William's friends)
- Read a book of your choice for 30 and log (a log is available through my plans if needed)
- By the end of the week, you must log into Google class and submit a "Write Long" response in the Assignment titled "Write Long". (Directions for Write Long are in my plans)
- Use this time to further research your American Revolution topic.
Writing: (Not for Ms. Hoermann and Ms. William's friends)
- Each day you must look at the plans and read over the day's mini-lesson. Use what you learn from the attached document to work on your writing.
- Log into Google Classroom and find the assignment for your book. Each day you should try to add a section.
- There is an example for you to look at.
- Your FINAL essay must be SUBMITTED by Wednesday 4/8.
- Over the next 8 days, find time to read the article on George Washington. (It is linked in my plans)
- By Wednesday 4/8/20 you must complete the Comic Strip in the Social Studies section of the plans.
Please note that our classroom is a nut-free classroom. Please do not send any tree nut or peanut containing products to your child’s classroom during classroom celebrations or as a snack each day. We are asking your assistance in providing these students with a safe learning environment. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you need to get in contact with me, I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Safety is always paramount at Switlik School. We are asking for help in allowing our staff to focus on our shared goal of keeping our children safe and focused on learning. We appreciate your continued support and collaboration with us in ensuring that all students are safe.
ENTRANCE PROCEDURES: Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school. We ask that you wait 20 minutes after student arrival to approach the building to be signed in for your visit. (Exceptions are made for scheduled appointments approved by your child’s principal/teacher/counselor.
- All visitors will notify the receptionist using the buzzer by the visitor doors.
- At the buzzer, all visitors are required to present their valid photo identification to the camera, state the purpose of their visit and/or specify with whom they have the appointment or which student they are picking up.
- At the second set of doors, buzz again for access to reception.
- This includes drop off and pick up for morning and aftercare
Please do not hold the door open for others behind you. We realize this feels awkward and against the rules of good manners, but it’s important that each visitor be acknowledged individually through the buzzer system.
- If the appointment and/or purpose is verified, the visitor will be buzzed in and must present themselves to the receptionists immediately upon entry.
- The visitor’s ID will be held until the visitor leaves the building and the visitor will receive a guest badge. This procedure helps us to know that the visitor has departed by ensuring they leave the same way they arrived.
- Please limit “dropped off” items to only those items your child truly needs during the school day (e.g. necessary clothing changes, important schoolwork or lunch/items that are required for that day). Using the buzzer by the visiting door, inform the receptionists these items are on the cart outside the visitor door.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES: Please be advised at no time should any vehicle be entering or exiting through our bus ramp during arrival or dismissal times. Please review and adhere to the following:
Arrival Time: 8:50-9:05 a.m. We will not have staff on duty before this time.
- No child should be left off at the school without a staff member in attendance.
- Morning arrival for children is located at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance).
- Parents who choose the “Kiss and Drop” loop should adhere to the following safety procedures:
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
- Pull up to the gym vestibule entrance doors to drop off your child.
- Parents are to remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Students must exit from the passenger side door.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building during drop off arrival time.
- Do not pass other vehicles while children are exiting from vehicle, this can create a dangerous situation.
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
After 9:05 a.m., the start of the school day, parents dropping off their children must park in the main parking lot and escort them inside to the main office receptionist desk in order to sign them in. At this time, children are considered late. Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school.
No child is to be dropped off at the main entrance without a parent/ guardian signing them in.
Parent Pick Up:
- Doors at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance) for parent pick up will open at 3:05 p.m.
- Present your valid photo identification to the receptionists prior to signing your child out.
- Follow instructions of receptionists as to where to stand while waiting for your child to arrive.
- Please do not park in the bus lane during this time.
- Parents wishing to pick their students up from childcare may begin to do so at 3:15 p.m. We ask that parents wait until dismissal is complete before signing out childcare students.
EARLY DISMISSAL: will conclude at 2:45 p.m. Any parent who wishes to sign out their child after 2:45 p.m. will wait until dismissal at 3:10 p.m. Please refer to the Switlik School Handbook.
If you will be picking your child up early, we prefer you notify the school as early in advance as you can, but at least by the morning of pick up. This can be done through a note sent in with the child, or an email to the teacher and principal. In the event of a true emergency, please contact the school reception desk by phone (732) 833-4650 extension 4135, prior to arrival if possible. We realize there are often instances where early pick-up is necessary (medical or other appointments), but we respectfully ask that you limit early sign-outs to only times when they are necessary.
Here's what we are working on......
Math: Students are working on Topic 11: Students will be working to represent and interpret data on line plots.
Reader's Workshop: Students are working in Unit 4 - Reading History: The American Revolution. In this unit students will study multiple points of view, support a position with reasons and evidence, tackle complex texts, and learn strategies for using new domain-specific words.
Writing: Students are working in Unit 4 - Bringing History to Life. In this unit students will tackle historical research in which they collect evidence and use details to vididly describe people and events from long ago.
Spelling: Students are working in their designated spelling group. They will follow our class schedule and be tested on the 7th day of their cycle.
*It is VERY important to notify the main office and myself of a dismissal change for your child. Please call the main office or send a note/email with your child's full name, the date, and teacher's name on your letter.*
Our class is scheduled for last lunch, which is 1:00. I believe that the class would benefit from a mid-morning snack to help the students maintain their focus during lessons. Since we will be working through snack, I ask that you limit the snack to one healthy food item per day. (some examples: one piece of fruit, carrot sticks, pretzels, crackers) NO PEANUTS OR PEANUT PRODUCTS OF ANY TYPE DUE TO PEANUT ALLERGIES IN THE ROOM. Thank you for your cooperation!
The 2019-2020 Box Top contest is under way! Please help support our PTN by sending in as many box tops as you can. Collection sheets can be printed from the PTN website, or you can send them in loose.
Specials Schedule for 2019-2020
Monday: Music (Mr. Morgan)
Tuesday: Gym (Mr. Hamdi)
Wednesday: World Language (Mr. Luell)
Thursday: Computers (Mr. Autenrieth)
Friday: Art (Mrs. Zhang)
I will be sending home Scholastic catalogs throughout the year. You can help us earn free books for our classroom!
Our class code is- H4LWD
I encourage you to take advantage of the enVision Math web site. It will provide your child with activities and games to practice and enrich; there is a wealth of resources available.
Students will use their district Google account credentials to log into Pearson EnVision Math. You will NOT use a username or password to access your Math resources and class assignments.
Please find your login instructions below:
- You MUST FIRST LOG INTO your district Google account (or Gmail)
- Your email is studentID@jacksonsd.org
- If this is your first time logging into Gmail, your password is welcome#jsd.
- While still in your Gmail, go to the Apps button (waffle).
- Click “More” at the bottom.
Click the “Easy Bridge” icon and you will be taken directly to Pearson. Just click “Realize” in the lower right and you’re there!
In keeping with last year, we will be having our school store on the 2nd Wednesday of each month in the cafeteria during lunch. Students will have the opportunity to shop once they have eaten. Items are priced between $0.25 - $2.00
Additionally, the PTN is always looking for volunteers, please contact Samantha Marley or PTN.email@example.com
Donations of tissues, hand sanitizer, and Lysol Wipes are always greatly appreciated.
Please send in an official doctor's note for your student's absence to be excused. Handwritten notes will not count.