The Soup-er Bowl is coming to Switlik! Students can vote for their favorite team by placing non-perishable food items into the bin of their team. Jan. 27th - Jan. 30th.
Here's what's happening in Room 17 this week (week of 01/20):
Reading/Writing - We will be starting our story interpretation partnerships. During this unit we will be working in both reading and writing to read various types of short stories, form a thesis, and write an essay about our thoughts. I am looking forward to reading some excellent literature with the students each day.
Math - We will finish topic 7 this week - factors and multiples. Our test on this topic will be on Friday.
The Switlik staff recently met with Officer Tony to review safety procedures at school. He and Mrs. McKiernan have asked us to share the portion of the procedures that pertain to parents.
LET ‘S WORK TOGETHER:
Student Safety is always paramount at Switlik School. We are asking for help in allowing our staff to focus on our shared goal of keeping our children safe and focused on learning. We appreciate your continued support and collaboration with us in ensuring that all students are safe.
ENTRANCE PROCEDURES: Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school. We ask that you wait 20 minutes after student arrival to approach the building to be signed in for your visit. (Exceptions are made for scheduled appointments approved by your child’s principal/teacher/counselor.
- All visitors will notify the receptionist using the buzzer by the visitor doors.
- At the buzzer, all visitors are required to present their valid photo identification to the camera, state the purpose of their visit and/or specify with whom they have the appointment or which student they are picking up.
- At the second set of doors, buzz again for access to reception.
- This includes drop off and pick up for morning and aftercare
Please do not hold the door open for others behind you. We realize this feels awkward and against the rules of good manners, but it’s important that each visitor be acknowledged individually through the buzzer system.
- If the appointment and/or purpose is verified, the visitor will be buzzed in and must present themselves to the receptionists immediately upon entry.
- The visitor’s ID will be held until the visitor leaves the building and the visitor will receive a guest badge. This procedure helps us to know that the visitor has departed by ensuring they leave the same way they arrived.
- Please limit “dropped off” items to only those items your child truly needs during the school day (e.g. necessary clothing changes, important schoolwork or lunch/items that are required for that day). Using the buzzer by the visiting door, inform the receptionists these items are on the cart outside the visitor door.
ARRIVAL PROCEDURES: Please be advised at no time should any vehicle be entering or exiting through our bus ramp during arrival or dismissal times. Please review and adhere to the following:
Arrival Time: 8:50-9:05 a.m. We will not have staff on duty before this time.
- No child should be left off at the school without a staff member in attendance.
- Morning arrival for children is located at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance).
- Parents who choose the “Kiss and Drop” loop should adhere to the following safety procedures:
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
- Pull up to the gym vestibule entrance doors to drop off your child.
- Parents are to remain in their vehicles at all times.
- Students must exit from the passenger side door.
- Parents will not be permitted to enter the building during drop off arrival time.
- Do not pass other vehicles while children are exiting from vehicle, this can create a dangerous situation.
- Stay in the right lane along the curb, pull up to the red line:
After 9:05 a.m., the start of the school day, parents dropping off their children must park in the main parking lot and escort them inside to the main office receptionist desk in order to sign them in. At this time, children are considered late. Valid Photo Identification is required each time you visit the school.
No child is to be dropped off at the main entrance without a parent/ guardian signing them in.
Parent Pick Up:
- Doors at the back of the building (gym vestibule entrance) for parent pick up will open at 3:05 p.m.
- Present your valid photo identification to the receptionists prior to signing your child out.
- Follow instructions of receptionists as to where to stand while waiting for your child to arrive.
- Please do not park in the bus lane during this time.
- Parents wishing to pick their students up from childcare may begin to do so at 3:15 p.m. We ask that parents wait until dismissal is complete before signing out childcare students.
EARLY DISMISSAL: will conclude at 2:45 p.m. Any parent who wishes to sign out their child after 2:45 p.m. will wait until dismissal at 3:10 p.m. Please refer to the Switlik School Handbook.
If you will be picking your child up early, we prefer you notify the school as early in advance as you can, but at least by the morning of pick up. This can be done through a note sent in with the child, or an email to the teacher and principal. In the event of a true emergency, please contact the school reception desk by phone (732) 833-4650 extension 4135, prior to arrival if possible. We realize there are often instances where early pick-up is necessary (medical or other appointments), but we respectfully ask that you limit early sign-outs to only times when they are necessary.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT MULTIPLICATION FACTS:
The best gift that you and I can give your child is the support that they need to MEMORIZE their multiplication facts. Memorization of facts frees up all of their working memory so that they can concentrate on the bigger task - solving the real problem before them.
Some important upcoming dates/events:
01/30 - SEL Family Night - 6:00
02/03 - Staff In-Service - No school for students
02/07 - Sweetheart Dance - 6:30 - 8:30
02/12 - School Store during lunch
02/17 - School Closed - Presidents' Day
02/18 - School Spirit - 100th Day of School - Dress like you are 100 years old
02/20 - PTN Meeting 10:00 a.m.
02/24 - 02/28 - Book Fair
02/27 - Family Night for Book Fair
Our class is scheduled for last lunch, which is 1:00. I believe that the class would benefit from a mid-morning snack to help the students maintain their focus during lessons. Since we will be working through snack, I ask that you limit the snack to one healthy food item per day. (some examples: one piece of fruit, carrot sticks, pretzels, crackers) NO PEANUTS OR PEANUT PRODUCTS OF ANY TYPE DUE TO PEANUT ALLERGIES IN THE ROOM. Thank you for your cooperation!
I ask that you check our class page and class calendar on a regular basis. I will update it weekly with information about our class and other important school announcements.