Welcome to Third Grade!
3rd grade is a fun year and we are going to learn so much together!
Here is our Remote Schedule (both groups are combined & will work together)
Please use Miss Brown Remote Google Classroom to access assignments & Google Meets
Please be at our Google Meets by 9am to start our day =]
8:55-9:05 - Homeroom & SEL Morning Meeting
9:05-10:45 - Literacy (If you are with Mrs. Morales for Literacy please attend her meet at this time)
10:45-11:15 - Lunch
11:20-11:50 - Specials (Mon-Library, Tues-Music, Wed-Computers, Thurs-Art, Fri-Gym)
11:50-12:20 - Science (If you leave with Mrs. C, please attend her meet at this time)
12:25-1:25 - Math
If you lost your Weekly Schedule of Assignments, you can get a new copy here!
If you have any questions or need any help, do not hesitate to email me! email@example.com
- I will be providing students with all of the supplies they will need this year and everything will be labeled with their name or number.
- If you would like you may send in a pencil case for them to keep their supplies in their desk. Please just be sure to write their name on it before sending it in.
- If you would like to donate some needed items to our classroom, we are always in need of tissues, paper towels, and wipes.
Please label everything that comes in, including water bottles. And don't forget sweatshirts/jackets as the weather will start to get cooler! This can be as easy as pinning a ribbon or piece of fabric inside the clothing, so you DO NOT have to write on it.
- In the backpack, it is also encouraged to have an extra mask or 2 incase the 1st one gets misplaced or dirty. Please be sure that the clean masks are in a labeled bag or container. Dirty masks will just be put in their backpack so you know the difference.Please remember that it is mandatory that the children wear masks all day.
- The students are also encouraged to bring in a water bottle each day. We will not have access to the water fountain due to the current situation, so I kindly ask that a water bottle be sent in everyday (it must be water, no juice in the classroom).
- Our room gets pretty chilly so I recommend the students bring a sweatshirt to keep in their backpack, especially at the start of the year when it is much warmer outside than in our classroom!
- Lunches may be purchased, but is recommended to bring a bagged lunch.
- I will be meeting the "at home" group in the afternoon each day around 2:20. More information on this will be shared shortly.
- Please send in a note if there will be a change in dismissal for your child. All dismissal notes are sent down to the office in the morning. It is IMPORTANT that you date these notes, include your child's full name, and my name.
*There will be no snack or food of any kind in the classroom*
Below is information and resources on instruction and how I will communicate throughout the school year.
Class Page: My class page will be updated daily with any important information that is happening in the classroom and announcements that pertain to the class, school, and community.
Google Classroom: My google classroom is where assignments and lessons will be posted throughout the year and where students will submit their assignments.
Google Meet: Google Meetings will be held each remote learning day. The link to access the google meet will be found in the google classroom.
Chromebooks have been provided to each student for use at home and in school for the duration of the 2020-2021 school year. Please remember to bring your chromebooks to school each day and charge every night so they are accessible for in person and remote learning. Please review chromebooks protocol and expectations below:Virtual Learning Expected NormsOn the days that your child is not in school, they will be expected to log into Google Classroom for attendance and to complete on-line assignments. We will also have Google Meets to check in and review work at the end of the day.The District Tech Tool Kit and Student/Parent Tutorials are available to help you with some common tech problems and document questions.
In order to keep you all informed on everything going on this year, I ask that you please join my Remind group on your phone and/or email. It is easy to do and FREE to join! Follow the ink below and sign up today (I have different groups for each group of students so please make sure you join the correct group)!
Remember to be Bucket Fillers, not Bucket Dippers!
Bucket Filling Initiative
Switlik Elementary School is working towards a more caring and respectful environment. We are using the world acclaimed book by Carol McCloud, Have You Filled a Bucket Today- A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids in order to create a safer, kinder, more respectful school culture.
Pre- and Post On Demand Writing Assessments
For each Unit of Writing’ Workshop, students complete a Pre-on Demand writing sample at the onset of the new unit and then a Post On Demand piece upon completion of the unit. The Pre On Demand piece is a formative assessment used to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the student(s) before beginning the unit of study.The Pre On Demand sample does not count toward the student’s grade. This assessment equips the teacher with an understanding of the student(s) needs while preparing instruction to meet the needs of his(her) learners.
At the end of each unit, the students will complete a Post On Demand sample which is a summative assessment counting toward the student’s performance on the unit. The teacher analyzes each piece to identify the growth the student has made since writing the first sample.
Each assessment is scored on a rubric that analyzes development of ideas, organization, elaboration as well as conventions including sentence structure, punctuation, capitalization , and grammar. It is expected that the child will show growth from the onset.
The rubric is scored on a scale of 1 - 4, with four being the highest score.
It should be noted that the rubric used is set on a June expectation.
4= writing exceeds grade level expectations
3= writing is on grade level and meets the expectations of the grade level.
2= writing is approaching grade level expectations.
1= writing is below grade level expectations
Please note the first day of school is a Tuesday, so Group 1 will be remote.
In Person Days: 9:05-1:35Group 1- last name begins with A-KAttends school in-person on Mondays, Wednesdays and alternating Fridays and works remotely the other days.Group 2- last name begins with L-ZAttends school in-person on Tuesdays, Thursdays and alternating Fridays and works remotely the other days.
Virtual Back to School Night on Monday, September 14th