- Switlik Elementary School
Principal's Message - October
SWITLIK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
Dear Switlik Families,
The leaves are turning colors, the temperatures are finally beginning to fall, and the night sky is getting darker more quickly each day. Fall is here!
It was great to hear that many families joined in for our Back to School Nights. It’s nice to be a part of a great community that is invested in the education of their children. Our last Back to School Night visitation will take place on Tuesday, October 5th for Grades 4 & 5. We look forward to seeing you then!
Week of Respect (October 4 - 8)
During the week of October 4-8, Switlik will be celebrating Week of Respect
- Monday, Stomp Out Bullying - Wear a BlueShirt to Stomp Out Bullying
- Tuesday, Follow the Golden Rule- Students & staff invited to wear Yellow/Gold
- Wednesday, We are Positive- Wear A Positive Vibe/Saying Shirt
- Thursday, Crazy for Kindness - Crazy Hair Day
- Friday, We Are All Different - Wear mismatched clothes
School Safety Week (October 18 - 22)
During the week of October 18-22, Switlik School will be celebrating School Safety Week.
- Monday, Be a HERO - Dress like a superhero or wear a superhero shirt.
- Tuesday, Peace, Love and Happiness - Wear peace signs/tie dye
- Wednesday, Unity Day - Wear Orange- Unite for a safe school
- Thursday, Throw Kindness Around like Confetti – Wear as many colors as you can!
- Friday, Kindness is Classy – Dress to Impress – it’s Picture Day! Say Cheese!!
Red Ribbon Week (October 25 - 29)
October 25-29, This week and every day hereafter, Switlik students will pledge to lead a drug and alcohol free life. Each day this week, we will show each other and our friends and family in and out of school that we will not become involved with drugs by showing all different ways we can do that. Every day this week will have a different theme, bringing focus to us all leading healthier, drug free lives:
- Monday, Proud to be Drug Free - Wear REDto kick off Red Ribbon Week
- Tuesday, Team up Against Drugs - Wear a team jersey or shirt
- Wednesday, Put a Cap on Drugs – Wear your favorite hat
- Thursday, My Future is Bright. No Drugs in Sight - Wear neon or bright colors
- Friday, Scare Drugs Away - It’s Halloween - Wear your costume(see guidelines below)
In keeping with the spirit of fun, children may dress in costumes on Friday, October 29th, if they wish. Children who choose to participate should come to school dressed in their costumes and be prepared to remain in their costumes all day. Please keep in mind that costumes should be comfortable and allow for children to move freely and should not depict any sort of violence. Remember that your child, while in his/her costume, will need to be able to sit, write, walk, and eat lunch and/or snack as well as do other school-related activities. If your child chooses to wear a costume, it should lend itself to these activities.
Of course, safety is the utmost concern. In order to provide for a safe and fun experience for all, please be sure to adhere to the following precautions:
- Facial Masks (for COVID prevention) must continue to be worn all day.
- COSTUME MASKSmay NOT be worn at any time.
- Please plan to apply make-up at home.
- Costumes mustbe school dress code appropriate.
- Fake weapon accessories are prohibited. (All costume peripherals should stay at home, please.)
- There will be no classroom celebrations involving outside relatives or visitors. Due to COVID protocols in place, parents/guardians/guests will not be permitted in the building this year.
Switlik Book Fair: October 11th – October 25th
We’re excited to invite you to our upcoming Scholastic Book Fair. Hosted by our staff, this event is an opportunity for students of all ages to build their home libraries and further their love of reading. As always, all purchases benefit our school.
After missing out on many beloved traditions, our fall Book Fair will be a familiar, welcome,and safe event for our students. Here’s what you need to know about the Fair:
- Our Book Fair offers a cash-free payment option called eWallet. It’s a convenient digital
account that your child can use for shopping at our Fair. Grandparents, friends, and
others can contribute, too!
- If you can’t make it to the Fair, then shop online at our school’s Virtual Book Fair. All
orders ship directly to your home, and shipping is free for book orders over $25.
Your online orders will also benefit our school.
Visit our Book Fair homepage to learn more and get started with eWallet and
We’re excited to celebrate our love of books together at the Book Fair. We look forward to seeing your child there!
Picture Day: Is fast approaching on Friday, October 22nd. Please review the guidelines set forth below to ensure the safety of all students and staff in reference to group class pictures:
- Students will be arranged on risers standing shoulder to shoulder. We are unable to photograph the students socially distanced – 3 feet apart.
- Students will wear their masks as they are arranged for the picture. At the very last minute, the photographer will ask them to remove their masks and hold it in hand.
- When the group image is captured, the students must immediately replace their masks as they leave the area.
Regular School Hours, Arrival, and Dismissal:
Please note that school hours are Grades Pre-School-5 - 9:05 am – 3:15 pm
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day. Students must be signed out by 2:45 pm.
Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well-being of our students and staff members
Arrival (8:55-9:05 am): On the Bus
- Buses will be cleaned between runs
- When possible, the windows will be opened on buses
- Staggered Schedule - Buses will unload at 8:55 (no earlier)
- Students will enter the building at designated grade level areas
- Face Coverings are REQUIRED on Buses, Bus Ramp, Entering the Building, & in the Classroom
- Students should try to practice social distancing when entering the building
- Designated Entrances - Clearly marked directional signals
- Teachers will assist students and direct them to designated grade level entrances
- Designated Drop Off Area (Located at the back of the building-Must enter through W. Veterans Highway)
- Only students in Child Care will be admitted prior to 8:50 AM
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the signs and cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY·
- Staff on duty will supervise students during this time
- Be aware of traffic patterns; please do not move ahead or cut across the line·
- Tardy students (arriving after 9:05 AM) must enter through the main entrance with a
parent/guardian and will need to be signed in by a parent/guardian with the receptionist. (NOTE: Carline entrance is locked at 9:05 AM daily….please DO NOT drop your child off at the back entrance after 9:05 AM)·
- Children arriving after 9:05 must check in with the receptionists in the main lobby of the
- Children must be accompanied into the school and signed in – please have a Photo ID
- For the safety of all of our young learners, please do not drop off students curbside unattended
- Dismissal (Begins @ 3:05 pm): In the afternoon, children are escorted/called to
buses, after school childcare, and parent pick up
- Students may not be signed out after 2:45 pm.
- Parent pick up is located in the back of the building
- Photo ID is required when picking up/signing students out at all time
Pick Up Via CARLINE DISMISSAL: Located in the rear of the building
- Pick up begins at 3:10 pm
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or
cut the line; this will ensure the safety of all of our learners·
- Designated Pick Up Area- There will be two car lines for parent pick up at the end of the day (K-2& 3-5)·
- Teachers on duty will be outside greeting each car·
- Children will be dismissed to their parent/guardian via a rolling car line·
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup·
- ID will be checked and parent/guardian will sign the child out on sign out a sheet indicating the time of departure
- Staff on duty will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only;
it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter·
- The child will be called to come out via walkie-talkie communication from the Gym (Holding Area)·
- Students should try to practice social distancing when exiting the building
- All children must enter their cars on the passenger side
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE: If your child has different dismissal plans than usual
- Must send a note to the teacher – if a request is not supported with a note, regular dismissal procedures will remain in place
- If another person besides a parent will be picking up, notification of this arrangement in writing must be given and proper ID will be required by the adult picking up
- No child is allowed to ride home on any other school bus than the one to which he/she is assigned. Playdates should be arranged by either parent providing the transportation or after the children have arrived home from school
Call the school main office before 2:00 pm If your child needs to leave school early,
he/she must be signed out with the receptionist first
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications were sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms. Although all students are eligible to receive free breakfast/lunch, submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms.
All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook. Cases for Chromebooks are also available for purchase. Please click on this link to view the flyer for more information.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the 'Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login pageBEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email email@example.com
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. These links were created by Kindergarten Teachers at the Holman School:
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
Staying connected with Switlik
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- District website, School website, teacher class pages
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
As the parent-teacher conference days approach in November, I hope that you will have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher either virtually or in-person regarding their academic and behavioral progress so far this school year. Conferences are an important component to ensure that the school and the home work together to maximize your child’s full potential. Parent-teacher conferences will take place on November 16, 17, and 18. Conferences may be held in-person or virtually, if a parent wishes to do so.
Conference Schedule Dates - November 16 - 18 - Conferences will be on the following days: Please schedule your conference(s) through the Parent Portal (more information will be forthcoming regarding dates and times to sign up).
- Tuesday, November 16th - Afternoon and Evening conferences
- Wednesday, November 17th - Afternoon conferences
- Thursday, November 18th - Afternoon conferences
How To Schedule Your Parent -Teacher Conference In Portal
Once it opens for scheduling, you can:
- Log into your Portal account
- Select the CONFERENCES tab at the top
- Select the “Request a Conference” link
Change the date on the window to the week of Nov. 15th to see the time slots available on Nov. 16, 17, and 17 for your child’s teacher. Once completed, you will see your reserved conference on the main page of the conference tab. You can use this link to cancel or change the conference if you need to.
Please mark your calendars for our next PTN meeting which will be held in person/ virtually at 7:00PM on October 20th in the Switlik APR and on Zoom (link forthcoming). Come to see what we have planned for this year and how you can be a part of it all.
PTN Membership: 100% of your Membership Dues goes directly back to the students. Please use the envelope sent home with your child to send in your membership dues (If you received multiple envelopes because of siblings in the school, feel free to send back the empty envelopes to be used next year.) You can now register and pay your dues online! Visit our web page at https://www.jacksonsd.org/domain/1679 Complete the online form under Membership and make your online payment.
Spirit Wear Sale: Spirit Wear Sale opened on September 20th. Items can be ordered online. We have some great new choices, so check it all out! Online store closes Friday, October 7th. Orders will be delivered in October. www.dependabiliteesnj.com
Clothing Drive: Saturday, October 2nd at Switlik School (main parking lot) between 9:00 a.m -2:00 p.m. We are collecting: all wearable and usable clothing, shoes, belts, pocketbooks, ties, hats, gloves, briefcases, backpacks, linens, stuffed animals. If possible, please put items in tied plastic bags). Switlik earns money bases on the number of pounds we collect. Have items to donate, but can’t make it on Saturday, October 2nd? Contact Samantha Marley at firstname.lastname@example.org or 856-371-9509 to drop off at Switlik or arrange for an alternate drop off date and time.
Additional Date(s) to Remember in October:
Tuesday, October 5th: BTSN Grades 4&5
Friday, October 22nd: Picture Day
Wednesday, October 27: Board of Education Meeting: 6:30 pm at the Fine Arts Center at Jackson Memorial Highschool.
Switlik Elementary School will be closed the 4th and 5th of November for NJEA Convention.
Enjoy the beautiful fall weather!