- Switlik Elementary School
Dear Switlik Families:
Please mark your calendar:
- School will be closed on Thursday, November 4th and Friday, November 5th for the New Jersey Teacher’s Convention.
- Students will return to school on Monday, November 8th.
- There will be shortened days on November 16, 17, and 18 for Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- The week of November 22nd is a short week so that we may take time to celebrate with our families the traditions of Thanksgiving.
- There will be a shortened day schedule on Wednesday, November 24th with school closing at 1:35 p.m.
- School will be closed on Thursday, November 25th and Friday, November 26th in celebration of Thanksgiving.
It’s hard to believe that Fall is here and we are nearing the start of the holiday season. Teachers continue to work hard, designing challenging and engaging lessons for their students. Please continue to reinforce what is taught at school by asking your child questions and encouraging him and her to read each day.
Teachers and students have participated in a variety of drills these past two months. Building Safety and Security is always something we take very seriously at the Switlik School. Teachers discussed and practiced security procedures of these drills during the first few weeks of school. Students are aware of the importance of the various security drills; paying attention to the teacher and being extremely quiet during security drills and procedures. These drills foster student safety and are practiced on a regular basis.
Picture Make-Up Day: will be held on Wednesday, December 15, 2021
As the parent-teacher conference days approach in November, I hope that you will have the opportunity to meet with your child’s teacher either virtually or in-person regarding their academic and behavioral progress so far this school year. Conferences are an important component to ensure that the school and the home work together to maximize your child’s full potential. Parent-teacher conferences will take place on November 16, 17, and 18. Conferences may be held in-person or virtually, if a parent wishes to do so. Please note that this is an evening for parents only. Please remember that according to the Governor's executive order, all visitors in schools need to wear a mask
Conference Schedule Dates - November 16 - 18 - Beginning Tuesday, November 2nd through Tuesday, November 9th, you can utilize the parent portal to schedule a conference with you child’s teacher at a time that works for you. To do this, beginning November 2nd, you can:
- Log into your Portal account
- Select CONFERENCES tab at the top
- Select the “Request a Conference” link.
Change the date on the window to the Week of November 15, 2021 to see the time slots available on November 16, 17 or 18 for your child’s teacher.
You will be given the option to select whether you want to attend IN-PERSON or VIRTUALLY. Once completed, you will see your reserved conference on the main page of the conferences tab. You can use this link to cancel or change the conference if you need to.
Please remember that the district is on SHORTENED DAYS on November 16-18 for conferences. Switlik School’s shortened day is 9:05 a.m. to 1:35 p.m. The scheduling links will close on November 9th. Please be sure to schedule your conference before November 9th.
Please see dates below for conference times:
- Tuesday, November 16th - Afternoon and Evening conferences
- Wednesday, November 17th - Afternoon conferences
- Thursday, November 18th - Afternoon conferences
School Bus Protocol: Students are not permitted to get off at bus stops that are not the bus stop for their home address. This creates a potentially dangerous situation for students and it is clearly prohibited as outlined in our student handbook: WE ARE NOT able to grant requests for students to ride any bus other than their assigned bus to and from school. An alternate bus assignment may be reviewed in the case of an emergency on a case by case basis.
If a student attempts to get off at a different stop, the Transportation Department will NOT permit this to occur without permission from a school administrator. Should this need arise, please send a note in with your student for approval.
Regular School Hours, Arrival, and Dismissal:
Please note that school hours are Grades Pre-School-5 - 9:05 am – 3:15 pm
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day. Students must be signed out by 2:45 pm.
Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well-being of our students and staff members
Arrival (8:55-9:05 am): On the Bus
- Buses will be cleaned between runs
- When possible, the windows will be opened on buses
- Staggered Schedule - Buses will unload at 8:55 (no earlier)
- Students will enter the building at designated grade level areas
- Face Coverings are REQUIRED on Buses, Bus Ramp, Entering the Building, & in the Classroom
- Students should try to practice social distancing when entering the building
- Designated Entrances - Clearly marked directional signals
- Teachers will assist students and direct them to designated grade level entrances
- Designated Drop Off Area (Located at the back of the building-Must enter through W. Veterans Highway)
- Only students in Child Care will be admitted prior to 8:50 AM
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the signs and cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY·
- Staff on duty will supervise students during this time
- Be aware of traffic patterns; please do not move ahead or cut across the line·
- Tardy students (arriving after 9:05 AM) must enter through the main entrance with a
parent/guardian and will need to be signed in by a parent/guardian with the receptionist. (NOTE: Carline entrance is locked at 9:05 AM daily….please DO NOT drop your child off at the back entrance after 9:05 AM)·
- Children arriving after 9:05 must check in with the receptionists in the main lobby of the
- Children must be accompanied into the school and signed in – please have a Photo ID
- For the safety of all of our young learners, please do not drop off students curbside unattended
- Dismissal (Begins @ 3:05 pm): In the afternoon, children are escorted/called to
buses, after school childcare, and parent pick up
- Students may not be signed out after 2:45 pm.
- Parent pick up is located in the back of the building
- Photo ID is required when picking up/signing students out at all time
Pick Up Via CARLINE DISMISSAL: Located in the rear of the building
- Pick up begins at 3:10 pm
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or
cut the line; this will ensure the safety of all of our learners·
- Designated Pick Up Area- There will be two car lines for parent pick up at the end of the day (K-2& 3-5)·
- Teachers on duty will be outside greeting each car·
- Children will be dismissed to their parent/guardian via a rolling car line·
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup·
- ID will be checked and parent/guardian will sign the child out on sign out a sheet indicating the time of departure
- Staff on duty will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only;
it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter·
- The child will be called to come out via walkie-talkie communication from the Gym (Holding Area)·
- Students should try to practice social distancing when exiting the building
- All children must enter their cars on the passenger side
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE: If your child has different dismissal plans than usual
- Must send a note to the teacher – if a request is not supported with a note, regular dismissal procedures will remain in place
- If another person besides a parent will be picking up, notification of this arrangement in writing must be given and proper ID will be required by the adult picking up
- No child is allowed to ride home on any other school bus than the one to which he/she is assigned. Playdates should be arranged by either parent providing the transportation or after the children have arrived home from school
Call the school main office before 2:00 pm If your child needs to leave school early,
he/she must be signed out with the receptionist first
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications were sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms. Although all students are eligible to receive free breakfast/lunch, submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms.
All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook. Cases for Chromebooks are also available for purchase. Please click on this link to view the flyer for more information.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the 'Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login pageBEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. In fact, these videos were created by Kindergarten teachers at Holman.
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
Staying connected with Switlik
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- District website, School website, teacher class pages
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
There is no PTN Meeting in the month of November. Please mark your calendars for our next PTN meeting which will be held in person/ virtually at 7:00PM on December 15th in the Switlik APR and on Zoom (link forthcoming). Come to see what we have planned for this year and how you can be a part of it all.
PTN Membership: 100% of your Membership Dues goes directly back to the students. Please use the envelope sent home with your child to send in your membership dues (If you received multiple envelopes because of siblings in the school, feel free to send back the empty envelopes to be used next year.) You can now register and pay your dues online! Visit our web page at https://www.jacksonsd.org/domain/1679 Complete the online form under Membership and make your online payment.
As we enter this time of year, we all pause to reflect on what we are thankful for, being a part of an extraordinary community. We are very fortunate to have a school community with a nurturing staff, happy students and caring parents. Enjoy everything that the holiday season has to offer!