- Switlik Elementary School
Dear Switlik Families:
The final month of 2021 is here! With the holidays rapidly approaching, let us be the first to extend our best wishes for a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season. May the New Year enter with good health, prosperity and much happiness.
As colder weather approaches and winter is upon us, please pay careful attention to your child’s attire, as students will continue to go out, weather permitting. Our lost and found grows by leaps and bounds. One of the most “found” items are sweatshirts and coats. Please label any items (coats, gloves, hats, etc.) that your child brings to school, so that we can easily return them.
Please mark your calendar:
- Picture Make-Up Day will be held on Wednesday, December 15th
- There will be a shortened day schedule on Thursday, December 23rd with school closing at 1:35 p.m.
- School will be closed on Friday, December 24th through Friday, December 29th for Winter Break. Students return on Monday, January 3rd.
Happy Holidays Switlik Families! The Switlik PTN will be hosting an in-person holiday shopping experience for the students between December 6 - December 17th. Teachers will be sending home a flyer with more information and will advise their shopping time. This gives your students an opportunity to purchase a small gift for their family members while supporting our school. We are in need of a lot of volunteers, please see our linked Signup Genius to Sign Up for a time to help: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090B4EA5AD2FA3FE3-holiday1
Report Cards: As the first marking period nears an end on December 8th, please be sure you are ready to access your child’s report card on the district portal website. Report cards will be available on the portal to parents on December 22nd. Also, please remember that if your Portal log-in does not work, please try the “Forgot My Password” link above BEFORE contacting support, as most issues will be resolved through that feature. Please note that the “Forgot Password” link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID. For questions or problems with your login ID’s or password (or if you do not have them), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and phone number, as well as your child’s name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.
Chromebook Distribution: Please note that EVERY student in grades K-5 will be receiving a new Chromebook during the next week.
The new Chromebooks have been delivered and will be exchanged the week of December 3- December 9th. Please refer to your teacher’s class page for your child’s Chromebook exchange date.
Students MUST bring their old Chromebook AND Charger each day during this time in order to exchange it for a new Chromebook and Charger. Please make sure that your child brings these items to school.
School Bus Protocol: Students are not permitted to get off at bus stops that are not the bus stop for their home address. This creates a potentially dangerous situation for students and it is clearly prohibited as outlined in our student handbook: WE ARE NOT able to grant requests for students to ride any bus other than their assigned bus to and from school. An alternate bus assignment may be reviewed in the case of an emergency on a case by case basis.
If a student attempts to get off at a different stop, the Transportation Department will NOT permit this to occur without permission from a school administrator. Should this need arise, please send a note in with your student for approval.
Regular School Hours, Arrival, and Dismissal:
Please note that school hours are Grades Pre-School-5 - 9:05 am – 3:15 pm
In an effort to continuously improve the safety of students and staff, parents may not pick up their child(ren) at the end of the day in the main lobby on a consistent basis. Dismissal in the main lobby will only be reserved for parents who need to occasionally pick up their child due to a doctor’s appointment, an illness, or some other reason prior to the end of the day. Students must be signed out by 2:45 pm.
Thank you in advance for your support in our efforts to improve the safety and well-being of our students and staff members
Arrival (8:55-9:05 am): On the Bus
- Buses will be cleaned between runs
- When possible, the windows will be opened on buses
- Staggered Schedule - Buses will unload at 8:55 (no earlier)
- Students will enter the building at designated grade level areas
- Face Coverings are REQUIRED on Buses, Bus Ramp, Entering the Building, & in the Classroom
- Students should try to practice social distancing when entering the building
- Designated Entrances - Clearly marked directional signals
- Teachers will assist students and direct them to designated grade level entrances
- Designated Drop Off Area (Located at the back of the building-Must enter through W. Veterans Highway)
- Only students in Child Care will be admitted prior to 8:50 AM
- Please follow the “traffic flow” as designated by the signs and cones
- Students must exit the car/vehicle from the PASSENGER/CURBSIDE ONLY·
- Staff on duty will supervise students during this time
- Be aware of traffic patterns; please do not move ahead or cut across the line·
- Tardy students (arriving after 9:05 AM) must enter through the main entrance with a
parent/guardian and will need to be signed in by a parent/guardian with the receptionist. (NOTE: Carline entrance is locked at 9:05 AM daily….please DO NOT drop your child off at the back entrance after 9:05 AM)·
- Children arriving after 9:05 must check in with the receptionists in the main lobby of the
- Children must be accompanied into the school and signed in – please have a Photo ID
- For the safety of all of our young learners, please do not drop off students curbside unattended
- Dismissal (Begins @ 3:05 pm): In the afternoon, children are escorted/called to
buses, after school childcare, and parent pick up
- Students may not be signed out after 2:45 pm.
- Parent pick up is located in the back of the building
- Photo ID is required when picking up/signing students out at all time
Pick Up Via CARLINE DISMISSAL: Located in the rear of the building
- Pick up begins at 3:10 pm
- Be mindful of traffic patterns and traffic flow; do not pull out of the line or
cut the line; this will ensure the safety of all of our learners·
- Designated Pick Up Area- There will be two car lines for parent pick up at the end of the day (K-2& 3-5)·
- Teachers on duty will be outside greeting each car·
- Children will be dismissed to their parent/guardian via a rolling car line·
- Parents/Guardians do not need to leave their cars for carline pickup·
- ID will be checked and parent/guardian will sign the child out on sign out a sheet indicating the time of departure
- Staff on duty will monitor and escort students TO CARS as they pull up, one at a time
- Please be ready for your child(ren) to enter via the PASSENGER side only;
it is not safe for them to walk around the car to enter·
- The child will be called to come out via walkie-talkie communication from the Gym (Holding Area)·
- Students should try to practice social distancing when exiting the building
- All children must enter their cars on the passenger side
DAILY/REGULAR DISMISSAL PROCEDURES CHANGE: If your child has different dismissal plans than usual
- Must send a note to the teacher – if a request is not supported with a note, regular dismissal procedures will remain in place
- If another person besides a parent will be picking up, notification of this arrangement in writing must be given and proper ID will be required by the adult picking up
- No child is allowed to ride home on any other school bus than the one to which he/she is assigned. Playdates should be arranged by either parent providing the transportation or after the children have arrived home from school
Call the school main office before 2:00 pm If your child needs to leave school early,
he/she must be signed out with the receptionist first
You may apply for free/reduced price lunch benefits. Applications were sent home with students in September, and are always available on our web site or at your child’s school. Only one application is required per household, but must be completed annually. Please complete and return the Free and Reduced Lunch forms. Although all students are eligible to receive free breakfast/lunch, submitting this form provides opportunities for other reduced or free opportunities for our families. Please click this link to the Jackson Food Service Department to complete your Free and Reduced Lunch forms.
All parents must have an active Chromebook Device Loan Agreement on file with the district. This form can be found on the Parent Portal and must be completed prior to your child being issued a district Chromebook. Cases for Chromebooks are also available for purchase. Please click on this link to view the flyer for more information.
What if I have an issue with technology and need assistance with the Parent Portal or Login?
- TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE:
- Please be sure to use the correct support contact for the type of issue you are experiencing. We kindly ask for your patience as we handle each request. We are moving as quickly as we can and we are eager to make sure every student can access the technology they need.
- Please try the 'Forgot My Password' link on the Portal Login pageBEFORE contacting support. Please note that the "Forgot Password'' link will work only with parents who have an email as their login ID.
- Parent Portal:
- If you have an issue with your portal login, please email email@example.com
- Please include your name and phone number, as well as your child's name, school, grade, student ID number and the problem you are experiencing.
- Chromebooks, Student Google Login ID and Passwords:
- If you have an issue with your child’s Chromebook or with his or her Google login credentials, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
- If your Chromebook is broken or damaged, please contact the main office @ (732) 833-4620.
I'm having an issue with an application, logging into my child's Google Classroom, or logging into Pearson Math. I need help. Are there any video tutorials to assist me?
- You've come to the right place. Here are some videos to assist with logging into Google Classroom. In fact, these videos were created by Kindergarten teachers at Holman.
- Click on the link below for a ton of helpful tutorials for all types of applications in Google and beyond. This amazing chart was created by a teacher at McAuliffe Middle School.
Staying connected with Switlik
- Our primary method of communicating information to you. Messages are broadcast through telephone messages. If you receive a phone from the school/district, and decide to pick up, please make sure that you say, “HELLO”, to activate the message.
- This is the way to access your child’s grades and report cards.
- This is one of the main ways that the school communicates our parent-teacher organization events and sign-ups for various activities, fundraisers, and purchases during the school year.
- District website, School website, teacher class pages
- Make sure to view these weekly to stay updated with school functions.
Please mark your calendars for our next PTN meeting which will be held in person/ virtually at 7:00PM on December 15th in the Switlik APR and on Zoom (link forthcoming). Come to see what we have planned for this year and how you can be a part of it all.
PTN Membership: 100% of your Membership Dues goes directly back to the students. Please use the envelope sent home with your child to send in your membership dues (If you received multiple envelopes because of siblings in the school, feel free to send back the empty envelopes to be used next year.) You can now register and pay your dues online! Visit our web page at https://www.jacksonsd.org/domain/1679 Complete the online form under Membership and make your online payment.
As 2021 finally comes to a close, we look forward to the start of a New Year. A Happy and Healthy New Year to all!